SASS Wire Forum

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Chantry

The mention of the musician Prince in another thread reminded me of this tribute to George Harrison at the 2004 Rock Hall of Fame inductions, Prince's guitar playing is incredible.:

Not to take anything away from Prince, here's another version of that song that kicks butt!!!  From the concert for George.  Check out all the artists who are backing the lead guitarist.  

If you have not done so and have the opportunity, you should check out the concert for George.  The beginning is a little slow but the rest is worth the wait.

I've had many people point that out to me as a great piece of guitar work. I've never been impressed by it. For me music is all about how it makes me feel. Which is why I will choose Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck or the like over someone like Yngwie Malmsteen or other "shredders" any day of the week. In this case, I love the song, hands down my favorite by the Beatles. I recognize Prince's musical ability, and his talent on many instruments. In this piece, though, to me at least, he lost his way from the soul of the song. I just don't "feel" the emotion of the solo that I do in so many other versions of the same song.

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

I've had many people point that out to me as a great piece of guitar work. I've never been impressed by it. For me music is all about how it makes me feel. Which is why I will choose Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck or the like over someone like Yngwie Malmsteen or other "shredders" any day of the week. In this case, I love the song, hands down my favorite by the Beatles. I recognize Prince's musical ability, and his talent on many instruments. In this piece, though, to me at least, he lost his way from the soul of the song. I just don't "feel" the emotion of the solo that I do in so many other versions of the same song.

I agree with you when I say it is about the music makes me feel.  I feel the same way about Jeff Beck that you do about Prince even though I recognize how talented Jeff Beck is, I find him technically brilliant, but his music does nothing for me.  I kind of feel the same way about Jimmy Page. Led Zeppelin is great, but Page by himself does nothing for me.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I agree with you when I say it is about the music makes me feel.  I feel the same way about Jeff Beck that you do about Prince even though I recognize how talented Jeff Beck is, I find him technically brilliant, but his music does nothing for me.  I kind of feel the same way about Jimmy Page. Led Zeppelin is great, but Page by himself does nothing for me.

I should clarify. I’ve heard pieces by Prince that did move me, just not this one. I actually find it disappointing to the point of frustration, because I would like to like it. 

I was never a fan of Jeff Beck until my original guitar instructor said he hadn’t been either either, and gave me a video to watch of him live. When he is “on” and in the groove interacting with other talented musicians, it is a rare treat.

Jimmy Page on the other hand… whether listening to “Since I’ve Been Loving You” or “”Bron Yr Aur” or his work with The Firm or even solo, he is hands down my favorite guitarist, with Alex Lifeson of Rush not far behind. I believe he is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock, primarily because of the band he was in and the talent of his band mates.

18 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I should clarify. I’ve heard pieces by Prince that did move me, just not this one. I actually find it disappointing to the point of frustration, because I would like to like it. 

I was never a fan of Jeff Beck until my original guitar instructor said he hadn’t been either either, and gave me a video to watch of him live. When he is “on” and in the groove interacting with other talented musicians, it is a rare treat.

Jimmy Page on the other hand… whether listening to “Since I’ve Been Loving You” or “”Bron Yr Aur” or his work with The Firm or even solo, he is hands down my favorite guitarist, with Alex Lifeson of Rush not far behind. I believe he is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock, primarily because of the band he was in and the talent of his band mates.

It is very much subjective

Other Prince performances do nothing for me.  Prince "live" (mostly on Youtube) is very different than a studio recording. 

I went and saw Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck was the second act. To be fair I think Buddy Guy is an exceptional live act, probably the best small to medium venue act out there, but I MAYBE made to Beck's second song before I walked out, to me it was just noise.  Beck stood toward the back of the stage, while some young woman was wandering the seat aisles yelling something incomprehensible on a megaphone.

Other Prince performances do nothing for me.  Prince "live" (mostly on Youtube) is very different than a studio recording. 

I went and saw Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck was the second act. To be fair I think Buddy Guy is an exceptional live act, probably the best small to medium venue act out there, but I MAYBE made to Beck's second song before I walked out, to me it was just noise.  Beck stood toward the back of the stage, while some young woman was wandering the seat aisles yelling something incomprehensible on a megaphone.

Music is always subjective. 

You hit the nail on the head, it is subjective. I long ago stopped talking in terms of “best” guitarist / drummer / etc… And only speak in terms of favorites, although I will acknowledge bad or poor performances, like you describe from Beck. I can’t comprehend him. Like I said, when he’s on, he is good, but you just described why I didn’t like him for so long, and only gave grudging respect after seeing a couple of his better performances.

There are many great guitar players out there.  Beck and Page, Clapton, Frampton, and others.

Two of my favorite are perhaps lesser known, but will rival any that can hold a six string.

Archived