SASS Wire Forum

Value Of A Firearm?

Major Art Tillery

Been tossing around selling or trading off a rifle I recently received, but no clue of the value.  Any ideas what to ask for it if I did sale? 

It is a Ruger #1 Sporter chambered in 45/70 New with box and Papers. Blued with walnut stock.  This is a special run for Federal Cartridge celebrating their 100 year anniversary, and the Serial # is special to that.

It has their 100 year anniversary logo laser engraved on side of stock and bottom of forearm.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

M.A.T.

Condition, condition, condition.

And barrel length.

Unfired will bring more than used in any condition, so you might try to determine if it is still New In Box, or just New w/o box and papers.   Since this is a "commemorative", it will have a premium price if unfired and with all papers.    Once it has been fired, you are back down to non-commemorative prices for most collectors.  

So, for better guesses, you need (NRA) condition estimates and PICTURES.

The completed-with-a-sale auction histories on GunBroker are a pretty good guide as to what that gun would sell at now.

good luck, GJ

8 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Condition, condition, condition.

And barrel length.

Unfired will bring more than used in any condition, so you might try to determine if it is still New In Box, or just New w/o box and papers.   Since this is a "commemorative", it will have a premium price if unfired and with all papers.    Once it has been fired, you are back down to non-commemorative prices for most collectors.  

So, for better guesses, you need (NRA) condition estimates and PICTURES.

The completed-with-a-sale auction histories on GunBroker are a pretty good guide as to what that gun would sell at now.

good luck, GJ

New in the box, unfired.  Have to check on Barrel length

GB only has a few that are listed right now, none are the Federal Cartridge commemorative version.  

This might be the closest in value for an unfired commemorative -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/936279689

Although no bids were gathered for several days with the opening bid at the $2070 level. 

It's going to take either a serious Ruger collector or a Federal fan (are there many?) to value it close to that, though.     But,  just lightly-used  shooters can be found listed around $1200-1400.   The bloom is probably off the rose for a #1 in .45-70 - 8 years ago and before, and you could have asked a real good price.    

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

A commemorative #1 in 45-70 is an odd combination.  

A collector will pay top dollar. 

A shooter will scratch their head and wonder “Why”?

I wish you luck finding the collector. 

We shall see what happens... Thanks for the info

59 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Might try asking on the Ruger Forum

I will do that.  Thank you

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

GB only has a few that are listed right now, none are the Federal Cartridge commemorative version.  

This might be the closest in value for an unfired commemorative -

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/936279689

Although no bids were gathered for several days with the opening bid at the $2070 level. 

It's going to take either a serious Ruger collector or a Federal fan (are there many?) to value it close to that, though.     But,  just lightly-used  shooters can be found listed around $1200-1400.   The bloom is probably off the rose for a #1 in .45-70 - 8 years ago and before, and you could have asked a real good price.    

good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ

The Ruger #1 has dedicated following of users, collectors and those who just love the rifle.  I love the rifle for hunting, but I appreciate walnut and blue steel in long guns.  Something like that will be in the $1200-$1500 range but you should head on over to the Ruger Forum for research to get answers.  I am still  looking to find a Medium Sporter in .308.  You have a great rifle there, for the handloader the 45-70 in a #1 is a serious big game rifle.

50 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

You have a great rifle there, for the handloader the 45-70 in a #1 is a serious big game rifle.

Absolutely!  The #1 and #3 have one of the strongest actions of any commercial gun. Some manuals have special sections of data labeled “For Ruger #3 Only”.

Of course, touching off one of those loads in a #3 is brutal to shoot. 

But I’m running off topic. 

You have a great gun that will make the right person very happy. 

Archived