SASS Wire Forum

Who shot what in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

John Wayne had a standard looking Colt with a 4-3/4" barrel.

He shot Lee Marvin with a Winchester 92,  with a STANDARD lever, not a large loop one.

But what was Jimmy Stuart's revolver.   I don't own a copy of the movie to put it on my big TV, and You Tube clips are not clear enough for me to make it out.

It looks like some kind of a Colt C&B, possibly converted, but I'm not sure.  It also looks to be nickeled.  

So does anyone know for sure?

According to the Internet movie firearms database, it was a Colt 1862 conversion:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_Valance,_The

Stoddard (Jimmy Stewart) receives a shooting lesson from Tom Doniphon (John Wayne), who reminds him he needs to cock the hammer first.
Stoddard (Jimmy Stewart) holds his revolver in his confrontation with Valance.

Colt 1862 Cartridge Conversion

1.jpeg

Ransom "Rance" Stoddard (Jimmy Stewart) is seen with a Colt 1862 revolver with a Richards-Mason conversion as he receives a shooting lesson from Tom Doniphon (John Wayne).

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

A gunshop buddy worked in the movie industry much of his early life. Many times as a producer and arms expert.  He told of the gun rental houses producing all kinds of special mods on guns - including converting percussion guns to fire blanks. Our conversation was over an original small frame Colt converted to 32 something.  I don't remember the specifics. 

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Well .... the conversions don't need a conversion cylinder as they have already been converted ...

... but ...

It looks like Kirst makes a little 22 kit for the cap and ball version that might work ... ^_^

https://kirstkonverter.com/22-caliber-colt-pocket-model.html

Yeah, there is the Cimarron in .380, but you can't buy one in Massachusetts.

You could do a 1860 conversion pretty easy, just bigger and 6 shot vs 5... 

Archived