SASS Wire Forum

Berry Bullets/Bulls Eye Pistol League

Didn’t Myth Busters do a show about bullets in water?  As I recall 3 feet slowed even rifle bullets down so much they were no longer dangerous.

I would put an old pillow or blanket in the bottom of the barrel as a pad and give it a try.

It’s something to do on a winter’s day!

I watched a relative empty a 1911 straight down at a salmon that had 6" of water over it. Never scratched it. An arrow, however, did a fine job. Lol. 

Got it solved! The crimp was the problem. Shot today using a new bullet seating depth and never had a problem. Left about  1/10 of an inch of the bullet protruding out of the case and no crimp.

This situation came about because I have not been able to get the Speer 148 gr hb fwc bullets. I have been using them for 15 years. I got the Berry Bullets that are almost the same except for the copper plate. I have always shot the Speer fully seated with a slight roll crimp. The hollow base in these bullets is supposed to expand when they are fired because of the pressure generated. The slight crimp creates a little more pressure and the bullet expansion is more which is more accurate in my gun. I didn't change any of my die settings, so I got some plating damage as the Berry's were shot. 

Learned something different for sure.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Didn’t Myth Busters do a show about bullets in water?  As I recall 3 feet slowed even rifle bullets down so much they were no longer dangerous.

I would put an old pillow or blanket in the bottom of the barrel as a pad and give it a try.

It’s something to do on a winter’s day!

I saw that episode years ago. The slow moving bullets remained intact, but the high-velocity ones shattered on impact. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have an old oil barrel that is about 36" deep. Anyone have any idea if I fill it full of water and shoot a round in it, will it stop (slow down)  the bullet before it hits the bottom.

I am thinking I want to shoot some in water and retrieve the bullet for inspection.

Yes. That is sufficient. 

Archived