SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Duelist style

Rootin Tootin

If I shoot Duelist style as a Cattle Baron can I use adjustable sight pistols?  Book says any shooting style except GF and any approved guns. I'm getting older and many events I attend only offer Silver Senior Duelist or Elder Statesman Duelist.  I'm approaching 80  and been shooting Duelist for almost 25 years and not wanting to become a 2 handed shooter.  

Thanks   RT

You can shoot Duelist in the Cattle Baron category.

You can shoot adjustable sight revolvers in the Cattle Baron category.

you can shoot adjustable sight revolvers ion the duelist style in the Cattle Baron category.

You cannot shoot adjustable sight revolvers in the duelist style in a duelist category, such as elder statesman duelist or Cattle Baron duelist.

SHB pg 5

AGE BASED CATEGORIES

Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers. Age based categories carry the following guidelines:

- May use any main match revolver.

- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter.

- May use any SASS legal main match shotgun and any legal main match rifle.

- May use any SASS legal ammunition.

SHB pg 6

SHOOTING STYLE CATEGORIES

Shooting Style categories allow participants to compete with others utilizing the same shooting style (e.g., shooting revolvers one-handed instead of two-handed). In addition, every shooting style can also be subdivided by gender, age, and propellant depending on demand and sanctioning category mandates.

Duelist Style

- Duelist – Duelist style is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired onehanded and unsupported. The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other.

- Duelists may shoot one revolver right-handed and one revolver left-handed in what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a standalone shooting category.

- Duelist Rules:

o Any main match, fixed sight model revolver may be used.

Could we make the category descriptions,  shooting styles, combinations,  and their respective allowances more overlaping and confusing?   I really doubt it.   The rules have obviously grown and complexified as specific cases were interpreted.  

What ever happened to KISS?

How about age-based categories, one or two handed (two-handed can shoot individual stages one-handed), and one description of SASS legal guns and ammo, good for all categories.

10 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Could we make the category descriptions,  shooting styles, combinations,  and their respective allowances more overlaping and confusing?   I really doubt it.   The rules have obviously grown and complexified as specific cases were interpreted.  

What ever happened to KISS?

This might help folks who are needing a little help understanding age based and shooting style categories

21 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

How about ... one description of SASS legal guns or ammo for any category.  

That is a pretty broad brush. We have ammo requirements for smokeless categories that are different than black powder categories. You also have a category (Classic Cowboy) that has a different ammo requirement than all the other categories.

In addition to age based categories having different firearm requirements than duelist, gunfighter, and black powder categories, you also have different firearm requirements in Classic Cowboy, B-Western, and frontiersman.

Now, there are those who have opined for the removal of the 'fixed sight' revolver restriction from non age based categories as they feel there is no advantage to them at the distances we shoot while others wish for an outright ban of them from age based categories because they are 'not cowboy.' 

However, just saying that we should remove all gun and ammo restrictions from all the categories to make it simple is a bit short sighted.

The question is can I shoot duelist style with adjustable sites  as a Cattle Baron, NOT in a  Cattle Baron Duelist

1 minute ago, Rootin Tootin said:

The question is can I shoot duelist style with adjustable sites  as a Cattle Baron, NOT in a  Cattle Baron Duelist

And the answer is YES, you can shoot adjustable sight revolvers in the duelist style in the Cattle Baron category.

Thank you to all.  I assumed the answer was yes but before I start buying more guns I wanted to be sure.  I've seen lots of changes since joining SASS back in 97 and after reading the shooters manual again and reviewing my RO1 and RO 2 material I thought I'd put the question out there for confirmation and as an informative question for other Duelist style shooters thinking about an aged based categories.  

42 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

That is a pretty broad brush. We have ammo requirements for smokeless categories that are different than black powder categories. You also have a category (Classic Cowboy) that has a different ammo requirement than all the other categories.

In addition to age based categories having different firearm requirements than duelist, gunfighter, and black powder categories, you also have different firearm requirements in Classic Cowboy, B-Western, and frontiersman.

Now, there are those who have opined for the removal of the 'fixed sight' revolver restriction from non age based categories as they feel there is no advantage to them at the distances we shoot while others wish for an outright ban of them from age based categories because they are 'not cowboy.' 

However, just saying that we should remove all gun and ammo restrictions from all the categories to make it simple is a bit short sighted.

Agree, it's a broad brush; probably too broad.  But at the same time, we should avoid the situation where shopping for narrower categories to reduce competition becomes a primary buckle-winning strategy.   If we subdivide categories far enough, we'll get back to where overall best shooter is the only thing with real-world relevance -- full circle to where we began.  

You can shoot duelist style in any category, including Gunfighter (double duelist style). There are no categories that require shooting with both hands on the gun. You can shoot adjustable sights in any age-based category except Senior Duelist/Senior Gunfighter and/or other age separations of these two, as requirements of the base category take precedence over the age divisions. Since Modern fell by the wayside some years ago, there are no categories that require adjustable sights.

Made up categories, such as "Forty Niner Duelist", "Cowboy Duelist", "Wrangler Duelist", or "Cattle Baron Duelist" would all be Duelist. If you shoot Cattle Baron, you can use fixed or adjustable sights and shoot duelist style or two handed, but if the MD allows you to create your own category, all bets are off. If the Match Director allows the age division of Cattle Baron Duelist, the base category of Duelist takes precedence over the age division, setting the parameters of the guns & sights allowable, and would require fixed sights... unless, of course he allows "Cattle Baron Duelist Using Fixed Or Adjustable Sights". :lol:

Archived