SASS Wire Forum

About internet scams

Maybe true since there’s probably a lot more youngsters online. Just a guess:o 

It can happen to any one, any age, any education or position.

The Treasurer for the City of Ottawa, allowed the City to be taken for $100,000.00 by a scammer, using a spoofed e-mail, that looked like it came from the City Manager, telling her to cut a cheque for $100,000.00

It almost worked a second time, but was only discovered by accident, when the Treasurer and the City Manager met over a coffee and the Treasurer mentioned the second cheque was prepared and ready to be mailed, to which the City Manager went  "HUH?!?! What?!?!

The real danger is that once a scam is successful, you are on the Sucker List that gets sold around to other scammers.

I have been gone from the City for 20 years and with the level and amount of Delegated Authority, to make purchases by Small Order,  that has been granted to users in the various departments, I have no doubt the amount of fraud being perpetrated is in excess of 2 to 3 million $$ annually, based on comments from Purchasing Officers and Senior Buyers who worked for me and are still there, but have remained in contact with me for advice etc.

Now, I realize it's Canadian $$ but still...........

47 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

It can happen to any one, any age, any education or position.

The Treasurer for the City of Ottawa, allowed the City to be taken for $100,000.00 by a scammer, using a spoofed e-mail, that looked like it came from the City Manager, telling her to cut a cheque for $100,000.00

It almost worked a second time, but was only discovered by accident, when the Treasurer and the City Manager met over a coffee and the Treasurer mentioned the second cheque was prepared and ready to be mailed, to which the City Manager went  "HUH?!?! What?!?!

The real danger is that once a scam is successful, you are on the Sucker List that gets sold around to other scammers.

I have been gone from the City for 20 years and with the level and amount of Delegated Authority, to make purchases by Small Order,  that has been granted to users in the various departments, I have no doubt the amount of fraud being perpetrated is in excess of 2 to 3 million $$ annually, based on comments from Purchasing Officers and Senior Buyers who worked for me and are still there, but have remained in contact with me for advice etc.

Now, I realize it's Canadian $$ but still...........

So it’s at least $1.98.     )))))

On 8/14/2021 at 8:02 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Everybody is concerned about old folk being cheated by various scams.

I read that youngsters (teens, twenties) are actually more likely victims of scams.

and I read it on the internet so it must be true.

We take about a hundred reports a year from college students duped by email, phone and other electronic communications.  The "secret shopper" scam (here's a check for $5000; cash it and send us $2500 back) gets several dozen each year.  

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

We take about a hundred reports a year from college students duped by email, phone and other electronic communications.  The "secret shopper" scam (here's a check for $5000; cash it and send us $2500 back) gets several dozen each year.  

I actually do mystery shopper assignments but they are penny ante things rarely more than $25 involved, maybe five in as many years that rang to $50.

and the only upfront money has been to buy a meal, mail a package or pay for a tank of propane.

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The "secret shopper" scam (here's a check for $5000; cash it and send us $2500 back) gets several dozen each year.  

That's why the old saw about, "you can't cheat an honest man" is so rediculous. Of course you can cheat an honest man. They are easy to cheat. Since they are honest, they expect other people to be honest.

"Cash this $5,000 check, keep the $2,500 we owe you and send us the other $2,500 back." Someone honest will do that. A crook - they'll keep the whole $5,000 and laugh up their sleeve.

Archived