SASS Wire Forum

5 shot pocket pistols...

I know it's been discussed before, but I don't remember the outcome, and my search skills are apparently lacking. With a six shot, you can leave an empty chamber under the hammer, but what's the procedure with a 5 shot cylinder?

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

You'll "safely" carry a "four shooter".

I kind of remember that being part of the argument... since it was being loaded on the line and shot with no movement, but I can't find the post.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Most side matches use four rounds in the pocket pistols. You can't use a pocket pistol as your main match pistol.

kR

Correct, a pocket pistol can't be a legal main match revolver. I've never seen a 4 round pocket pistol match, always 5.

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I know it's been discussed before, but I don't remember the outcome, and my search skills are apparently lacking. With a six shot, you can leave an empty chamber under the hammer, but what's the procedure with a 5 shot cylinder?

"Five-shot revolvers may load five rounds, but the hammer must rest on a dummy chamber or safety slot/pin in the cylinder to avoid the hammer resting on a live round/cap."  Page 13 of the 2021 Shooter's Handbook

Correct, for a main match gun. The question is does it extend to side matches not involving a main match pistol? The derringer side match starts with a live round under the firing pin.

Around here pocket pistols and derringers are never drawn from a holster. We always load them after staging our other firearms. Then start with them in hand, pointed down range. So loading all 5 is not an issue.

Correct, pocket pistol and derringer are never drawn from holsters. I kind of remember that being the argument, or one of them , in favor of loading five rounds in a five round pp cylinder, but I can't find the dang thread!

Archived