SASS Wire Forum

Now, Them's Some Guns

Subdeacon Joe

80-G-490175 Bombardment of Kamaishi, Japan, 14 July 1945

Photo #: 80-G-490175  Bombardment of Kamaishi, Japan, 14 July 1945
Title: Bombardment of Kamaishi, Japan, 14 July 1945
Description: USS South Dakota (BB-57) fires her forward 16/45 guns at Kamaishi targets during the bombardment. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.
Catalog #: 80-G-490175
Related Content

The SoDak was really a hard-luck ship. First she ground herself really hard on an underwater pinnacle in the South Pacific, causing a lot of damage to her hull. The she took a bomb hit at Santa Cruz that partially knocked one turret out of action. A few days later she was in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal against the Japanese battleship Kirishima, suffered a complete loss of power right in the middle of the fight and promptly got the s*** kicked out of her. A couple years later at the Battle of the Philippine Sea she took another bomb hit that killed dozens of crewmembers. And finally she had an undignified end as she was merely scrapped instead of becoming a museum ship like two of her sisters were.

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The SoDak was really a hard-luck ship. First she ground herself really hard on an underwater pinnacle in the South Pacific, causing a lot of damage to her hull. The she took a bomb hit at Santa Cruz that partially knocked one turret out of action. A few days later she was in the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal against the Japanese battleship Kirishima, suffered a complete loss of power right in the middle of the fight and promptly got the s*** kicked out of her. A couple years later at the Battle of the Philippine Sea she took another bomb hit that killed dozens of crewmembers. And finally she had an undignified end as she was merely scrapped instead of becoming a museum ship like two of her sisters were.

According to Navy legend/superstition at the time, she was jinxed because her sponsors from the state of South Dakota never made arrangements for the gift of a captain's mess silver tea service, a violation of Navy tradition for battleships. As I recall, she was the only battleship to have suffered that severe breach of etiquette. 

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

According to Navy legend/superstition at the time, she was jinxed because her sponsors from the state of South Dakota never made arrangements for the gift of a captain's mess silver tea service, a violation of Navy tradition for battleships. As I recall, she was the only battleship to have suffered that severe breach of etiquette. 

Interesting. I had forgotten about that. It wasn’t just for Battleships. In the Officer’s Mess aboard my ship, the USS Virginia CGN-38, there was a silver tea service and a complete set of silver-ware including silver creamers, butter dishes and sugar bowls to accommodate the ship’s full compliment of officers provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia. 

I should know. I had to polish the sh...beautiful silver when on Mess Duty. 

Archived