SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1898 for sale

Marlin 1898 for sale

Original, unmodified 1998 12 Gauge with original 30” barrel. The barrel is stamped Marlin with Patent dates of Nov 6 1894, May 12 1896 and June 2 1896. The frame is not stamped with model number but the buttplate does have the Marlin name. The serial number is 77 stamped on lower frame means it was made in 1898 so  no FFL needed to ship. The metal bluing is now brown and the original buttstock is complete, with a few scuffs and chipping varnish at the butt end. The pump handle looks newer (like those on 1897s). The action works well and I last fired it about 12 years ago using low brass shells in a Cowboy action match. Action cycles smoothly and locks up with little to no effort.  $ 350 shipped

M98 P2.jpg

M98 P4.jpg

M98 P3.jpg

M98 P2.jpg

M98 P1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yes, it is unfortunate that these were disallowed by the PTB.

Sorta inevitable after Marlin issued a warning that their old shotguns were unsafe and should not be used...

I was shooting a Marlin model 24 at the time.

I appreciate the heads up about it, I don’t intend it for SASS or anything. This is primarily just going to be in a gun case. I will have a gunsmith look it over before anyone does shoot it. 

13 minutes ago, Robyn Gold said:

I appreciate the heads up about it, I don’t intend it for SASS or anything. This is primarily just going to be in a gun case. I will have a gunsmith look it over before anyone does shoot it. 

Dad gummit!

SN 77! How cool is that?

If you ever come to Columbus to shoot, bring it so I can see it.

I'd'a jumped on this in a New York minute. 

Good buy!

Brazos

4 minutes ago, Gimmyguns said:

I’m quite confused I posted I’ll take it when the ad first appeared and my comment was apparently deleted?

Nope, it's still there........in the other thread with the 1898 for sale. There is two 1898 Marlins for sale, kinda weird since I haven't seen a Marlin '98 for sale here in a good long while.

22 hours ago, Robyn Gold said:

I think that was a different gun. There is another one for sale on here too

Serial number 77!!   One of the first ones ever made.  That is just plain cool 

Archived