SASS Wire Forum

Safe to use?

LostVaquero

I want to load some 38 super rounds.  I have two different bullets both around 160g, both cast lead.  One is poly coated the other is not.

The poly coated box says .355 and by calipers I get .354.5 to .355.5 with most being right around .355

The other is just cast lead and the box indicates .357 but when I use the calipers on samples of those I get .355 to .356.5 with the majority right at .356.

This is a later model Colt 1911 in 38 super.  I have not slugged the barrel (don't really want to if I can avoid it).

Now from what I read nominal for 38 super is .356 but I am guessing since a later model the barrel is more like a 9mm luger for .355 bullets.

Also with lead I read that .001" is recommended. 

The poly coated bullets I am pretty confident about.  The cast lead non-polys are the ones I am not so sure, but I have a whole bunch of them.

So the question is if I use the non-poly box labeled .357 would they be safe?  Feed issues, overpressure issues or not even try.

Thank you all!!!

Mine has a Sig barrel but uses .355. I would be careful with the uncoated bullets depending on how hard they are.

The Super likes stuff above 1,000 fps. If the bullet is too soft, you might start seeing the rifling strip lead off and lose accuracy. Also makes the cleaning more of a headache. So either keep those under a velocity to avoid leading or use a harder bullet. Again, my barrel is a Sig one, yours may be different.

Archived