SASS Wire Forum

An old Aesop's Fable - Wolves and Sheep

The Wolves and the Sheep

Once upon a time, the wolves sent an embassy to the sheep, desiring that there might be peace between them for the time to come. "Why," said the wolves, "should we be forever waging this deadly strife? Those wicked dogs are the cause of all; they are incessantly barking at us and provoking us. Send them away, and there will be no longer any obstacle to our eternal friendship and peace."

The silly sheep listened, the dogs were dismissed, and the flock, thus deprived of their best protectors, became an easy prey to their treacherous enemy.

.:blush:.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence....

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog....

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said, “Thank God I wasn’t on one of those planes.” The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, “Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference.” 

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, Retired.  

11 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The silly sheep listened, the dogs were dismissed defunded, and then quit, and the flock, thus deprived of their best protectors, became an easy prey to their treacherous enemy.

I went with Schoolmarm to the grocery this morning!  As most of you know, I carry open regularly.  

As I was going for the peanut butter, the store manager came up and took a good look at my weapon. “I’m glad to see you’re carrying!” He pulled back his apron, “I encourage most of my people to at least keep something handy” he said and showed me his S&W M&P40.  “The assistant manager carries too!”  He repeated the story of the store being robbed a couple of years ago, and like the cashier who first told me of the incident, he said he wished all of his long time customers carried and did it proudly! 

Thanked me by name as we left the store!  I guess he asked some of his employees who we were. We’ve been shopping there for nearly forty years and many of the cashiers, stockers, and even one of the butchers were Schoolmarm’s students over the years.

I don’t always shop there, but I’ll certainly move this store to the front of the line!!

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I went with Schoolmarm to the grocery this morning!  As most of you know, I carry open regularly.  

As I was going for the peanut butter, the store manager came up and took a good look at my weapon. “I’m glad to see you’re carrying!” He pulled back his apron, “I encourage most of my people to at least keep something handy” he said and showed me his S&W M&P40.  “The assistant manager carries too!”  He repeated the story of the store being robbed a couple of years ago, and like the cashier who first told me of the incident, he said he wished all of his long time customers carried and did it proudly! 

Thanked me by name as we left the store!  I guess he asked some of his employees who we were. We’ve been shopping there for nearly forty years and many of the cashiers, stockers, and even one of the butchers were Schoolmarm’s students over the years.

I don’t always shop there, but I’ll certainly move this store to the front of the line!!

I open carry, (1911 or NMV), and nearly every weekend I get complimented on it from both shoppers and employees, ......at Walmart.

Archived