SASS Wire Forum

12 ga STS reloading

Pards, after 8-10 year hiatus, I feel the need to re-load shot shells again.  I can't locate a suitable  load  on the computer.  I have a number of STS hulls and some WST powder and would like to duplicate PM me me a powder load to end up with a nice crimp.(or email at blazekinkaid253@powerc.net)  Also has anyone ever used Trail Boss in shot gun loads?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards

I tried TB and thought it was messy.  I switched to Clay's, found it to be cleaner.  Of course if you'd shoot black you wouldn't have any of the issues :D :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Blaze Kinkaid, SASS #253 Life/Reg said:

would like to duplicate

Duplicate what?   The Winchester Featherlites that everyone wants to duplicate? 

Here's how I have VERY successfully loaded a 1 ounce lead load in STS with Winchester WST, which makes a VERY clean burning load, but it's a little heavier than a Featherlite:

Rem STS hull

Fed 209A primer (but the Win 209, CCI 209 or even Cheddite 209 will work, too)

19.0 grains WST

Win WAA12SL or the Claybuster CB1100-12  wad (both are pink in color)

1 ounce shot

You have seen me shoot those at Bordertown, Blaze.

Just to prove this is a safe load, there's a picture of the Hodgdon on-line data for this same load attached.

From http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data

site, taken today.

WST when used as a shotshell powder is a little harder to make light loads for Cowboy than say Clays or Clay Dot, because it is a dense powder and does not fill the hull as well, and thus often leaves sunken crimps with light loads.  If you want a pussy-cat light load, with Clays, let me know.   Trail Boss has not been considered a shotgun powder by Hodgdon/IMR, so they don't have published loading data for it.

Good luck, GJ

Hodgdon load WST in Rem STS 11 ounce.jpg

Hello Joe, guess I forgot a few words in the original post.  I wanted to duplicate the exact STS factory load. I don't like light loads, I prefer 1 1/4 loads, but a 1 oz load will do. 

Thanks for the reply, hope to see you at Bordertown.

Regards

STS has at least three loads including a load just slightly stronger than the Winchester low-noise low-recoil (feather light).

So the load Garrison Joe gave may be a good starting place for you if you want to stick with the WST powder.

Archived