SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 64 SASS legal?

Philosopher

Asking for an elderly family member who is lacking in computer skills.

Before he pries open his poke he wants to be absolutely certain that a Winchester model 64 lever gun in .30/30 would be legal for long-range side matches.  Tang sights or barrel mounted sights only, of course.

Also, would a model 64 be legal in .32 Winchester Special?

Thanks for any insights.

I would check with the organizer of the specific event your friend is planning on attending.  Since these are side matches, the local rules would apply.  Some are restricted to big bore, some are not.  

Rifle Caliber” competition rifles must use traditional, period, rimmed cartridges.  No cartridge chambered for use in any SASS approved main match revolver or rifle may be used in the “Rifle Caliber” competition, except the .56-50.  Thus, .3030 (.30 WCF), .38-55 Marlin & Ballard, .43 Spanish, or .45-70 Government cartridges are legal, while a .375 Winchester, .444 Marlin, .32-20, or .44-40 are not legal

Lever action rifles used in long-range matches, whether revolver or rifle calibers, must be originals or replicas of rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899.  Lever or slide action, tubular feed, exposed hammer rifles or carbines are allowed, providing they are in safe working condition. 

SHB p.32

The Winchester model 64 and the Winchester Model 1894 shared the exact same action.

SOURCE

REF also:

Sooooooo, if I'm reading everything correctly he's good to go? 

Sorry if I'm being acutely obtuse. (A little geometry humor there....)

;)

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Sooooooo, if I'm reading everything correctly he's good to go? 

;)

Yeah he's good to go.  The 64 counts as being designed in the correct time period because it's the same as a model 94. (one writer called it a gussied up model 94)

30-30 and 32 special are both acceptable. 

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Yes, good to go.  Could it be any planar? :lol:

Archived