SASS Wire Forum

A Good Friday Sweep

Bushy Blonco

A Good Friday Sweep - A message of hope in challenging times

I sure do miss our shoots and all the good times getting together! And since this also means my opportunities to lead Cowboy Church have been reduced, I thought I'd share a few thoughts with my pards via this forum in hopes that I might offer some encouragement to our community of friends as we deal with so much change, and the loss of our time together at the range. I know it's a long post, but I hope you'll take 10 minutes to read to the end.

I have a day job in manufacturing, but when I get to do Cowboy Church I normally preach with a pistol on, loaded with 5 rounds (without primers or powder), then I pull a cartridge out of the cylinder for each “bullet point” of my sermon. So here are my five “bullet points” for this Good Friday, the day we commemorate the suffering and death of Jesus Christ for our benefit. In this current time of many new anxieties in our lives, I hope you will continue reading as we observe Jesus’ great anxiety on that Friday, how he handled it, and the resulting triumph.

Here are my five “Bullets” for a quick “Good Friday Sweep”:

• #1 - Anxiety and fear are not sins
  • #2 - The “silver bullet” for courage in times of fear
  • #3 - Jesus demonstrated the “silver bullet” in action
  • #4 - Purpose in the pain
  • #5 - Hope on the horizon

Bullet #1 - Anxiety and fear are not sins

Anxiety and fear in themselves are not sinful; Jesus felt anxiety and fear the just prior to his arrest:

And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”  And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Luke 22:41-44)

That is stress and anxiety! Even after he was strengthened by an angel, he was still in agony and prayed more earnestly. James R. Edwards observed: “Jesus’ prayer is not the result of calm absorption into an all-encompassing divine presence, but an intense struggle with the frightful reality of God’s will and what it means fully to submit to him.” Some of us are facing frightful realities, what should we do? Having fear and anxiety is not sinful, so don’t beat yourself up. Like most things in life, how we react is what matters.

Bullet #2 - The “silver bullet” for courage in times of fear

What did Jesus do in the midst of this agonizing, intense and frightful struggle? He prayed more earnestly. What did he pray? “If you are willing, please get me out of this, but not my will, but yours be done.”

In his intense anxiety, Jesus did not sin: he prayed earnestly and submitted to the Father’s will. The Apostle Paul instructs us to handle anxiety the same way in Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

In everything by prayer and supplication; supplication is “to plead humbly or to beg earnestly”; once we do that, then we are promised that the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Our hearts and our minds. Do you find lately that fears in your heart will make your mind run wild with “what-ifs” and “worst case scenarios” (not the kind of "scenarios" we’d like be thinking about!)? The answer is that by prayer and thanksgiving we trust in God’s faithfulness. Then His peace frees our hearts and minds to be about doing what we can to get ourselves and others through these times with a clear head and a sound mind. That’s the “silver bullet” solution.

Bullet #3 - Jesus demonstrated the “silver bullet” in action

Jesus experienced agonizing anxiety as he prayed in the garden, and in that anxiety he turned all his heart, mind, soul and strength to God the Father. He was so stressed at the knowledge of what was coming that his sweat was "as drops of blood"; he begged the Father for a way out, but God gave him a way through. There is a turning point where Jesus moves from anxiety to faith and trust, the “silver bullet”. After desperately pleading with God three times, we see no more of this agonizing anxiety expressed in His prayers, words or actions: as Jesus is arrested, beaten, tried, and flogged, he is resolutely entrusting himself to God’s care. Look at his response when, after being flogged, he is challenged by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate:

“Pilate said to him, “You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above.”” (John 19:10-11)

Jesus’ heart and mind were guarded and strengthen throughout his trial, torture, and crucifixion, because he had prayed and submitted in faith and trust to the will of the Father.

Jesus demonstrated how to face crushing anxiety and agonizing fear of future events on Good Friday. The apostle Peter was there, and I think this is why he tells us to:

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” (1Peter 5:6-7)

God is sovereign over every detail in the universe. As John Piper has said: “The same sovereignty that could stop the coronavirus but doesn’t, is the very sovereignty that sustains the soul through it, and not only sustains, but sees to it that everything bitter and sweet works together for our good, to those who are called according to his purpose.” That’s the “silver bullet” when we are in the midst of anxiety and fear. This is what Jesus demonstrated on Good Friday. Which leads to bullet #4…

Bullet #4 – Purpose in the Pain

Pain is a warning system to let us know something is wrong, isn’t it? That we need to do something to avoid bigger problems. As I get older I’m getting a lot more physical warnings than I used to! In the same way, God uses calamities to accomplish His will for our ultimate good. The arrest, trial and crucifixion of Jesus on Good Friday was a calamity; this Pandemic is a calamity and a wake-up call to put things in perspective and bring about changes for our ultimate good, if we are willing to see it.

As we read earlier, the apostle Paul encourages us to follow Jesus example:

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:4-8)

“Rejoice in the Lord always” means make a resolution to focus on the goodness of God. Like “Front Sight!” we need to focus on what’s important and not be distracted; we need to train ourselves to gaze on the goodness of God, and only glance at our problems.

When we are anxious, we are to beg for help from God in prayer and with thanksgiving, knowing he has promised to “cause all things to work together for good for those who love Him.” (Romans 8:28)

The purpose in the pain is learning Who is in charge, and that he loves us and has promised our ultimate good when we put our trust in Him and follow his direction.

Bullet #5 – Hope on the Horizon

Just like the anxiety and fear of Good Friday leads to the triumph of Easter Morning, God means this current situation, both the bitter and the sweet, for our good, and will not only see us through, but will make us more than conquers if we put our trust in Him.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? …

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-38)

Take heart and be encouraged! We are in the midst of Good Friday, but the triumph of Easter is coming and shines brighter for it! As Jesus said:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.” (John 3:16-17)

That’s the message of Good Friday this year, may it be your best ever!

Thanks for reading to the end!

With love,

Bushy Blonco

From Paschal Matins:

ODE I

(Irmos) This is the day of resurrection. Let us be illumined, O people. Pascha, the Pascha of the Lord. For from death to life and from earth to heaven has Christ our God led us, as we sing the song of victory.

Refrain: Christ is risen from the dead.

Let us purify our senses and we shall see Christ shining in the unapproachable light of His resurrection. We shall clearly hear Him say: Rejoice, as we sing the song of victory.

Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice. Let the whole world, visible and invisible, keep the feast. For Christ is risen, our eternal joy.

ODE III

(Irmos) Come, let us drink, not miraculous water drawn forth from a barren stone, but a new vintage from the fount of incorruption, springing from the tomb of Christ. In Him we are established.

Now all is filled with light: heaven and earth and the lower regions. Let all creation celebrate the rising of Christ. In Him we are established.

Yesterday I was buried with You, O Christ. Today I arise with You in Your resurrection. Yesterday I was crucified with You. Glorify me with You, O Savior, in your kingdom.

Thanks for the good words and thoughts Bushy, and I so much enjoy hearing you deliver them at Cowboy Church.

Happy Easter to all...

RR

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I once had a rooster that liked to wake up around 3:00AM. He used to irritate me to no end until I realized this:

The apostle Peter denied Christ three times on what we call Good Friday. Can you imagine how Peter felt when he heard any rooster crow after that?

But Jesus had told him before that Friday: 

“Satan demanded to have you that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” (Luke 22:31-32)

Did you catch that? “When you have turned again” not if, when.

Jesus prayed for us too:  

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” (John 17:20-21)

Back to Peter: boy, did he turn again! That same man that cowered and wept bitterly after denying Jesus, later by God’s power through Jesus prayer, turned again and preached boldly at Pentecost, leading over 3,000 to faith in Jesus.(Acts 2)

So now whenever I hear a rooster, I don’t get irritated, I get inspired by God’s faithfulness to use flawed humans like Peter and you and me to accomplish his purposes.

So when you hear that rooster, remember:

Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. (Romans 8:34)

That’s the glory of Easter – the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and that he is alive, seated at the right hand of God and praying for us right now!

Listen to the words of Peter, a man who had denied Jesus in his hour of need, but was turned back and used magnificently by God:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:3-7)

The times we find ourselves in this Easter are not times for a sentimental view of God, so dig in, put your faith in Jesus Christ and let the power of the resurrection turn you into all you were created to be!

He is Risen!

Happy Easter!

Love,

Bushy Blonco

Archived