SASS Wire Forum

Need Ruger Simulated Ivory grip repaired

Wild Walt. 92206

I tightened a screw too much on my Ruger .22 Single Six and cracked the grip.  I am looking for somebody to repair the grip.  The grips on these pistols are hard to come by, and would like to keep the grips on the gun.  They still work as they are, but want the crack repaired if possible.

Thanks

ruger grip.jpg

Sorry,  I can't offer a fix but can offer a common trick to keep it from happening.

223808952_ColtgripscrackJan2019.jpg.9c5f23241c5189d99bb57116b626f33d.jpg1271421294_ColtgriprepairJan2019.jpg.2b56b3da89596862399d6f501a3e7421.jpg

The grip panels on a Colt I bought had started to spider crack around the hole only visible on the inside. I repaired the cracks and cut a length of copper tube to make a spacer to prevent over tightening.  It's a common practice. Most often the tube is made from the barrel of a Bic ink pen.

Here is a topic on the Colt forum that provides info on repairing grips.

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-smithing/297465-grip-fix-extravaganza.html

I tightened a screw too much on my Ruger .22 Single Six and cracked the grip.  I am looking for somebody to repair the grip.  The grips on these pistols are hard to come by, and would like to keep the grips on the gun.  They still work as they are, but want the crack repaired if possible.

Thanks

ruger grip.jpg

If it's plastic, it probably is not possible to repair it to the point that the crack is invisible.  CA glue WilI repair it to service.  The best I can do to recommend a "low visibility" fix would be to grind about an eighth of an inch of the top edges back to 30 or 45 degrees to make a V looking gap when the halves are pressed together.   Then put them together and apply low viscosity CA glue to the crack in the back, keeping the plate flat.  Then when set, turn it over, fill the gap with clean baking soda and flood on another application of CA.  Then after setting, sand it down to original contour.  It will still show as a slightly different color stripe, but won't appear as a crack.  

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest cleaning the back of the crack with Denatured Alcohol and let it evaporate/dry.  Apply a generous amount of superglue.  File it flat (on the inside of the grip panel).  Epoxy a flat washer (like the Warden's example) then make a spacer to prevent it happening again.  Best of Luck

Archived