SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Choice of Aircraft

Subdeacon Joe

Interesting to see a P39 depicted in a training movie, but in the early days in the Pacific the P39's and P40's were what the AAF had to hold the line until the longer range P38's were available in quantity.

IMG_2998.JPG

Interesting to see a P39 depicted in a training movie, but in the early days in the Pacific the P39's and P40's were what the AAF had to hold the line until the longer range P38's were available in quantity.

IMG_2998.JPG

The P-39was the reason my dad joined the Air Force. He liked motorcycles and fast cars. :) Looked good, but was less than a great success against the Zero. New tactics had to be learned. It was well armed and armored.

The Russkis employed them very effectively though. 

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/flying-the-p-39-airacobra-in-the-pacific-posed-challenges/

The P-39was the reason my dad joined the Air Force. He liked motorcycles and fast cars. :) Looked good, but was less than a great success against the Zero. New tactics had to be learned. The Russkis employed them very effectively though. https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/flying-the-p-39-airacobra-in-the-pacific-posed-challenges/

I always thought it was a good looking plane. The follow on version, the P63 was a big improvement in performance although it still suffered from the 39's short legs. But the Mustang was in service by then so it didn't catch on with us, but I believe the Russkis had some of them also.

I made a model of a P-39 when I was about 12. Showed it to my dad and he smiled all day. Even though he never got to fly one, it remained his favorite.

In the early days of the Guadalcanal campaign, the AAF flew the P-39 and some P-400's (the export version...that didn't get exported) in close air support for the Marines.  No match for the Zero, the P-39's basically tried to get out of the way of the Zekes, leaving them to the F4F Wildcats.  Once the P-38's got there, it was a different story!  The "Forktailed Devils" were the bane of the IJN fighters, and were responsible for the interception and death of Japanese Admiral Yamamoto. 

In the early days of the Guadalcanal campaign, the AAF flew the P-39 and some P-400's (the export version...that didn't get exported) in close air support for the Marines.  No match for the Zero, the P-39's basically tried to get out of the way of the Zekes, leaving them to the F4F Wildcats.  Once the P-38's got there, it was a different story!  The "Forktailed Devils" were the bane of the IJN fighters, and were responsible for the interception and death of Japanese Admiral Yamamoto. 

The F4 wasn’t much of a match either one on one. But the F6 fixed that. Then there was the Whistling Death later. No competition.

I made a model of a P-39 when I was about 12. Showed it to my dad and he smiled all day. Even though he never got to fly one, it remained his favorite.

When I was about that age I had a Cox powered control line P-39 ~ my "prize" for selling a bunch of Christmas cards door-to-door.  Some scheme from the back of a comic book, as I recall...

That thing was SO cool!  IIRC, it was an AMF, and could fire two spring-loaded rockets by yanking a separate string.  But my step-dad (Korean War vet - B-26 Gunner/Bombardier)  flat forbade me from flying it.  Said I'd wreck it.  Could only look at it.  Sheesh....  it finally wore out from fondling and moving damage.   :(

When I was about that age I had a Cox powered control line P-39 ~ my "prize" for selling a bunch of Christmas cards door-to-door.  Some scheme from the back of a comic book, as I recall...

That thing was SO cool!  IIRC, it was an AMF, and could fire two spring-loaded rockets by yanking a separate string.  But my step-dad (Korean War vet - B-26 Gunner/Bombardier)  flat forbade me from flying it.  Said I'd wreck it.  Could only look at it.  Sheesh....  it finally wore out from fondling and moving damage.   :(

I had one at around the same age too! Dang little .049 was a bear to start but once it was running it was a great flyer.  A buddy had a 109 and we'd tie streamers to the tails and dog fight. Had a lot of fun until one time we tangled the lines. 

Archived