SASS Wire Forum

it is nice to hear

Back around 2000, we had a wicked (this is New England "wicked" means horrible) storm that broke a lot of things like trees.   A co-worker. Jan,  told me I could have the scraps, the tree was ash. I picked it up and turned some bowls, five or six bowls 10 to 12 inches in diameter.. looking back at it, the work was brutal, I cant do that anymore.

I gave all the bowls away. of course Jan got the best, it had an occlusion in it. Some guy she thought knew what he was talking about told her the wood was maple. what an idjit.  I gave another to Lisa, the wife of a friend. Lisa told me yesterday that she puts it out with fruit for family occasions. I gave one to a daughter, I gave one to a friend in Ukraine. others I don't remember.

It's nice when someone values something you made. 35 years ago I made a new table/tray for an old high chair owned by my wife's aunt. It was a family treasure that wasn't being used and after I was done it was being used. I thought my work looked awful; they thought it was a gift from heaven. They still use it to this day. The aunt is in her mid-80s and brings it up every time she sees me. Who knew a badly carved high chair tray was going to be my legacy?

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

It's nice when someone values something you made. 35 years ago I made a new table/tray for an old high chair owned by my wife's aunt. It was a family treasure that wasn't being used and after I was done it was being used. I thought my work looked awful; they thought it was a gift from heaven. They still use it to this day. The aunt is in her mid-80s and brings it up every time she sees me. Who knew a badly carved high chair tray was going to be my legacy?

I think the craftsman always thinks their work is awful. That is because you know where the defects are.

Not on the same scale...

I refinished s table and chairs for my wife over 25 years ago. When we left CA and my daughter stayed behind my wife gave her the table and chairs. My daughter still has the table and one of the chairs. I asked her why she still had that chair sitting in the corner (she won’t allow anyone to use it). She said “That’s a chair you refinished for Mom. The others are all gone. I want to keep that chair.”

She uses the table for arts & crafts. But she really likes that chair. 
Made me feel good that she keeps it. 

Archived