SASS Wire Forum

Very basic date range Rossi 1892

stef75

I know this is probably a question that gets asked a lot with not a lot of definitive answers. I know the makers of these guns changed hands a lot and was hoping to get a general idea of the manufacturer or date range( even a decade or 'probably before or after XZY date' would be fine).

Its a very good condition stainless 24" octagonal 357 mag, 24" barrel. Seriel number is SK1142XX, only other stamp is on the top stock tang. "Amadeo Rossi, Made in Brazil. (so is that the company rossi, puma, taurus?)

Its pre-safety( and when were they pre-safety btw?). I took the stock and buttplate off to see if any other markings, noticed '125   8' stamped in one place and '125' stamped in a couple places. 

Any idea where the pre-safety and manufacturer stamped on it might put this 92 on the timeline Or any idea at least where it 'doesn't fit in' so I can narrow it down.:) I am assuming this is not one of the ones made after 2009 which are all chiappas from italy right?

Also anyone ever slugged the bore of these. I was wondering how to do it, or if anyone knows what they usually run?

Thanks for any replies. Be gentle, its just a question on the internet ;)

Can't help on timeline, but they were Rossi's before Taurus bought them out and the name changed to Braztech. Chiappa's have always been Italian made and are not related to Rossi/Taurus/Braztech. There was a period when the Taurus guns came out rough from the factory, but I hear they smoothed up considerably at some point. Steve sells a do it yourself video for slicking these up and he also sells guns he does himself. 

Although Winchester manufactured approx 1 million of the Model 1892 rifles between 1892 and 1941, they could not keep up with the world-wide demand.  The Spanish company GARATE Y ANITUA started making a version of the 1892, later known as "El Tigre" starting in 1915.  Although exact numbers are not known, some estimates are that they made almost as many of their copies as Winchester did of the original     Then once WWII and the Korean War were over, and the demand for 1892's resumed, Winchester decided their fortunes lay elsewhere. 

When the Winchester continued to respond with deaf ears to the worldwide demand for new 1892s in the following decades, the AMADEO ROSSI company from São Leopoldo, founded in 1889 in the Brazilian federal state of Rio Grande do Sul, stepped in to fill this niche.  As early as 1976, they launched their 1892 copy.   Rossi simply called their rifle the Model 1892, but to most shooters it was The Puma, This is because Rossi initially equipped their copies of the WINCHESTER M 1892 on the left side a coin-like emblem of a silver cougar head, as a nod to the earlier Spanish "El Tigre".

Rossi has been part of the Brazilian group TAURUS FORJAS SA, headquartered in Porto Alegre, since 1997, and production of the Puma continued.

Here's more: 

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

EMF - AM####### - 2002

Puma - AM###### - 2005

Rossi R2 - 5JP###### - 2018

John Boy here is photo came with big Loop & another regular I bought.  Short stock for youngsters.

Action work by  JRJ

DSCN5842.JPG

Archived