SASS Wire Forum

Reduced power mainspring in 3 screw Blackhawk

Three Foot Johnson

I've got three unconverted 3 screw Blackhawks that I never shoot, but I want to work them into the rotation. The mainsprings are horrendous, so I was checking Wolff's Web site seeing what was available, and perusing online gun sites to see what folks are using. The answer seems to be, "It depends". Wolff calls the factory Ruger springs 23#, but also states that number is for "reference only", leading me to believe it's just a number, and not the actual weight. I always thought the factory springs were 19#, so who knows. Anyway, I'd rather not buy 4, 5, or 6 springs, and try them all in all three guns with a variety of primers. Generally, it seems the 18# springs should work with any primer, which is what I'm looking for. I don't want guns that are "tuned" for Federals only. Those fractions of a second are completely wasted on a 30 second shooter such as myself. So the question is: Those of you running Wolff mainsprings in stock Blackhawks or original Vaqueros, what weight are you using for 100% reliability with all primers?

OMV hammer spring including your BH's are 23lbs.

Call Wolff, and order 2, 18lb hammer springs-Ask the gal taking the order to be sure the springs are pulled from the same lot run.

This way, the 2 springs are identical is all ways.

You will also want 2, 30oz trigger springs. Again the lot run variances, comes into play.

OLG

I use the 14 Lb springs in my 3 screw Blackhawks, An action job should be done along with the spring replacement.

Got them from here. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/new-vaquero-blackhawk-reduced-power-hammer-springs-prod26649.aspx

43 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I use the 14 Lb springs in my 3 screw Blackhawks, An action job should be done along with the spring replacement.

Got them from here. https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/mainspring-parts/mainsprings/new-vaquero-blackhawk-reduced-power-hammer-springs-prod26649.aspx

The springs in that link are clearly marked for NMV-Blackhawk.

OMV and NMV hammer spring do not interchange as the OMV hammer springs are longer.

The OP has the OMV........

OLG

I copied the wrong link, try here. These are 15 lb springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

A 15lb hammer spring in a OMV is gonna be super SLO lock time, if it even 'pops' the rnd.

I have the Ron Power conversions in my OMV .44's(t'bar still in place), and anything under 18lbs I don't trust.

17lb may well work-I like the ''insurance'' of the 18lb 'smack' and the faster lock time.

Remember, these guns do get gunk'd up and filled with silt(in the desert)when the wind kicks up.

Respectfully,

OLG

I use 15 lb springs in my Blackhawks and it pop Winchester, S&B and Federal just fine. Never a misfire in many years of hard use. And I hunt with one of them. 

12 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I use 15 lb springs in my Blackhawks and it pop Winchester, S&B and Federal just fine. Never a misfire in many years of hard use. And I hunt with one of them. 

PLZ confirm, that these are OMV.

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

Yes sir they are.

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

PLZ confirm, that these are OMV.

Deuce Stevens put them in for me. He couldn't take seeing me shoot them anymore. No other work done to them.

Archived