SASS Wire Forum

New baby at my house.

I finally found a Navy Arms / Uberti copy of a four barrel Sharps pepperbox in .22, new in the box (some storage wear and tear on the box), instruction sheet with illustrated parts list, and a warranty card.  There were prices for options and for the basic gun.  Pistol was $34.95 and  four dollars more you could get walnut display case.  Type A, B, and C engravig were $20, $20, or $30 extra.

Markings show caliber is .22 cal.  Don't know if that's short, long, or long rifle.

If anyone is interested I know of another one for sale in new / in the box condition, but this one was almost in my backyard.

.22 shorts only.  nothing else fits.  At least it's authentic.  Those little guns weren't real powerhouses and if any one shot me with one I'd be real irked as soon as I found out.

Mark Twain reportedly said that the pocket pistols of his day had a bullet that was the size of a small homeopathic pill and could be almost as deadly.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Picture, Forty...?   :)

Forty has a flip phone and a grumpy disposition. He couldn’t possibly get us a photo of his new baby...:rolleyes:

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

You say you got you a new Sharps for $35? Wow. And you know where there's another'n. Double wow.

Is it also $35? I want it. Groucho.gif.b42e472c2fb7915f17779d20d41dc0a5.gif

That was the price in 1960 something.  I gave over 10x that amount for this one.....and it was a bargain for the quality.

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hey, here's a question for y'all: how do I remove the Italian proof marks from the right side of the brass frame without ruining the surface or obliterating the marks I want to keep that are 3/4 inch away?

Duck tape :P

OLG

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Forty has a flip phone and a grumpy disposition. He couldn’t possibly get us a photo of his new baby...:rolleyes:

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

"Nudge, nudge, wink, wink" your tired old a$$.  That's 100% correct, so there!  <_< 

Finally got out to shoot it this morning.  Remington "golden bullet" HighVelocity .22 shorts were all I had. The gun doesn't kick much at all, probably because it's a heavy-for-its-size little chunk.  

Accuracy is better than I anticipated: top two barrels and the right bottom barrel will stay in a foot circle at 15 yards.  The bottom left barrel throws high and right about six inches at that range, not uncommon for fixed barrel pepper box types.  I had an original Star .41 that we'd shoot behind the barn.  It put rounds somewhere west of the barn, but you could never count on just where that would be.  Ran out of .41 rf and couldn't get any more (I was young and if I'd have know what that ammo is going for to collectors I'd have never shot it all up) and ended up selling to to a collector from SLC for a hundred bucks, almost three times what I'd paid for it. 

I'll keep it and maybe even carry once in awhile just for s---s and giggles.

Contented Tom

Woe be unto the bad guy, rabid Rottweiler, or attack squirrel who may attempt harm upon 4T or members of his tribe~!  :lol:

So Tom... does it look like this one?  :)

Image result for navy arms sharps pepperbox

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Woe be unto the bad guy, rabid Rottweiler, or attack squirrel who may attempt harm upon 4T or members of his tribe~!  :lol:

So Tom... does it look like this one?  :)

Image result for navy arms sharps pepperbox

Yep, and the proof marks that I want to get rid are about half way down the barrel on the brass frame.  Tiny little bit of ugly that bugs the bejabbers out of me.

And you thought OCD couldn't be fun.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:04 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Finally got out to shoot it this morning.  Remington "golden bullet" HighVelocity .22 shorts were all I had. The gun doesn't kick much at all, probably because it's a heavy-for-its-size little chunk.  

Accuracy is better than I anticipated: top two barrels and the right bottom barrel will stay in a foot circle at 15 yards.  The bottom left barrel throws high and right about six inches at that range, not uncommon for fixed barrel pepper box types.  I had an original Star .41 that we'd shoot behind the barn.  It put rounds somewhere west of the barn, but you could never count on just where that would be.  Ran out of .41 rf and couldn't get any more (I was young and if I'd have know what that ammo is going for to collectors I'd have never shot it all up) and ended up selling to to a collector from SLC for a hundred bucks, almost three times what I'd paid for it. 

I'll keep it and maybe even carry once in awhile just for s---s and giggles.

Contented Tom

Uh... took it out again today and the third string of four rounds that wayward lower left barrel shot into the same group as the others.  Small barrel / muzzle obstruction that finally got shot downrange?  Can't explain it and don't want to change it back.

'Nother new baby.

I found a Whitney #2 five shot .32 rf pocket pistol in about 60% shape outside and 85% inside and it followed me home.

The guy also had a small frame .32 cf DA Merwin Hulbert with a folding hammer in nearly new shape inside and out, for just under a grand.  A bit steep for my wallet, but if money were no object.......

Now, this never happened before: I got a call from the dealer where I got the Whitney and was told a guy wanted it badly and had a trade in mind.  The dealer vouched for the guy so I went over to meet them at the shop.  The guy wanted that Whitney for his collection of Whitney Arms stuff.  He gave me what I paid for it and threw in a VERY nice Hopkins and Allen Ranger No. 2, also in .32 rf, and in very nearly 100% condition externally, dirty and stiff but still in good shape inside, and a pair of genuine cracked and discolored (the only downside to the deal) ivory grips.  I thought they may be celluloid, but a red hot pin stuck into the back released a smell like burning hair or fingernails, so I stopped looking for goblins and made the trade.

So, now I have a new gun and my money back to go hunting for something else.

BTW, does anyone know of a small supply of shootable .32 rf short rounds that won't cost as much as a kidney transplant?

Archived