SASS Wire Forum

WTC - Rounds Left on Carrier

Null N. Void

A shooter received a MS because of a spent hull left in the SG.  The stage started with the SG and the shooter left a spent hull in the SG with the action closed.  The shooter went to the rifle and before it registered that the TO was yelling chamber, he had the rifle on the shoulder and cocked it.  Because it was cocked, he proceeded to shoot the rifle sequence correctly and went to the pistols which were also shot correctly.  The stage was clean with a MS for the spent hull left in the SG.  

If the shooter wanted a clean match, could he proceeded as follows with the cocked rifle.  Jack out the live round out of the chamber and put the rifle down.  Then go to the SG and eject the spent hull, go back to the rifle and shoot 9 plus a reload to get the 10 rifle rounds shot correctly and then shoot the pistols. 

You have until the next gun is fired to correct a round left on the carrier for the rifle and the same to eject the spent SG.  Does this work?  I think so, but I'd like to hear from some of the rule gurus.

NNV

NO.

A rifle is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only: - Empty. - Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use).

But...

A rifle is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage) in the following condition only: - Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended round, action closed. - Action open, round on carrier or in chamber.

I wouldn't penalize a shooter that opened the rifle action, then with the other hand opened the shotgun, extracting the empty hull and then proceeding, UNLESS they failed to maintain muzzle control of the rifle.  Whether that entailed moving with the rifle, or at least keeping one hand on the rifle while clearing the shotgun.

35 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

A shooter received a MS because of a spent hull left in the SG.  The stage started with the SG and the shooter left a spent hull in the SG with the action closed.  The shooter went to the rifle and before it registered that the TO was yelling chamber, he had the rifle on the shoulder and cocked it.  Because it was cocked, he proceeded to shoot the rifle sequence correctly and went to the pistols which were also shot correctly.  The stage was clean with a MS for the spent hull left in the SG.  

If the shooter wanted a clean match, could he proceeded as follows with the cocked rifle.  Jack out the live round out of the chamber and put the rifle down.  Then go to the SG and eject the spent hull, go back to the rifle and shoot 9 plus a reload to get the 10 rifle rounds shot correctly and then shoot the pistols. 

You have until the next gun is fired to correct a round left on the carrier for the rifle and the same to eject the spent SG.  Does this work?  I think so, but I'd like to hear from some of the rule gurus.

NNV

IMO...YES.

The shooter could have grounded the rifle with no round in the chamber, then opened & cleared the shotgun.

BOTH "unsafe conditions" would have been remedied before "firing the next firearm".

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IMO...YES.

The shooter could have grounded the rifle with no round in the chamber, then opened & cleared the shotgun.

BOTH "unsafe conditions" would have been remedied before "firing the next firearm".

Yaaaaaaaaa!!!! I got it right!!

:o:P

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yaaaaaaaaa!!!! I got it right!!

:o:P

Me too!

2 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

NNV

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IMO...YES.

Soooo... earning a second MSV to clear the 1st...  Am I the only one that thinks this isn't "right"?

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Soooo... earning a second MSV to clear the 1st...  Am I the only one that thinks this isn't "right"?

There are no MSVs until the next firearm is FIRED.

The rules specify those conditions that may be corrected up to that point with no penalty.

REF: SHB p.16

Archived