SASS Wire Forum

Want to buy: .41 Short Rimfire Ammo

Ethan Cord

Howdy all,

I bought a .41 Derringer to replace the one I sold many years ago. Now I am on the hunt for some ammo. Does any one have any for sale?

Send me a PM and let me know what you have and how much you want for it please.

Thanks!

Dixie Gun Works sells brass for the .41. Uses a 22 blank for a primer. The “primer” hole is off center. Works really well. I tap a ball in the case, then scoop in a little APP, then push the primer in by hand. Easy-peasy. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Dixie Gun Works sells brass for the .41. Uses a 22 blank for a primer. The “primer” hole is off center. Works really well. I tap a ball in the case, then scoop in a little APP, then push the primer in by hand. Easy-peasy. 

Thanks Hoss, I already looked there but they are "currently unavailable": .41 Rimfire  I will buy some when they are back in stock.

Pm me your address. I’ll mail you a couple so you can at least try them out. Nothing worse than having a gun  you can’t shoot! 

I have a sealed box of the NAVY ARMS ammo that was made back in the 1980's.

The stuff is not cheap, but it's the real deal.  

Email me at tomgraham01@msn.com if you want a price. 

pix848353317.jpgpix967478569.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I located one box, would like to find another.

Thanks!

Just now, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Be aware that the Navy Arms stuff is stouter than the old BP ammo.  They have been known to crack the hinges on Remington derringers, especially on earlier models.  

First I have heard of that......and I have shot several rounds of thi NA stuff in my original Remingtons over the years. 

But since the hinge point on these is a weak spot, I could see that being an issue especially if the hinge is already comprimised.

Hey Ethan,

If you put "reloading .41 rimfire"  in your search engine you will find a company that sells .41 rimfire reloadable brass out of Belgium. They usually have plenty.

You can get the whole kit with hand tap dies if you want.  Molds are available from "Accurate Molds"  on line as well.

I shoot mine regularly with this gear, even carry it now and then.  After testing the cartridge pretty extensively I was surprised at what it would do to someone in  a defense situation.  Ball loads went 11 to 14 inches into gel and not in a straight line.  Conical loads went 8&3/4  inches after shattering a ugly splintered hole through a cow leg bone held in the gel.  I shot a 140lbs freshly killed buck with a BP ball load from 10 ft.  As I dressed the deer I tracked the bullet path. It went through the chest completely, shattering about 2 & 1/4 inches of the near side rib, cut a ugly tunnel through the near lung, bounced off the spine cracking the vertebrae it hit then passed through the far lung and between the ribs, it came to rest just under the skin of the far side.  There might be better small carry " last ditch" guns but this will do. 

Frank Barnes in Cartridges of the World,  wrote that it was a " so under powered as to be worthless on anything but rats and sparrows".  However, he admits that it could wound or kill a person at point blank range.  I'd have to think that he never saw anything shot with it other than paper.  

Archived