SASS Wire Forum

More thoughts on loading info......

Goody, SASS #26190

Just a couple of observations about the recent advent of allowing load data to be talked about on the SASS wire. As we are now barely a week into it and are seeing lots of different requests for info. It's only a matter of time before we have multiple threads on the same calibers/subjects, with the same info being gleaned by the prospective loader. To combat this I would like to suggest a whole new tab for this subject, with a set of moderators to perhaps edit some of the errors that are bound to be posted. As Driftwood has posted there needs to be a established format for the information posted. Not just xx.x grains of XYZ powder, but complete info regarding bullet weight and type, primer, OAL, etc. Just my thoughts on how to keep this a little more organized from the start, rather than trying to clean it up later.

Bravo, Goody! 

Wads for shotshell loads need to be listed by their manufacturer name and number.   A "gray wad" does NOT cut the mustard for loading data!  Especially for folks outside the US who have to try to find different components.

Now, as for a Loading Room moderator, you'd make a good one!    I understand it pays well.  ;)

Good luck, GJ

Goody, i can see where you are coming from, but having a moderator to edit would be a huge no-no.  that would likely make SASS and the moderator legally responsible for an error.  I do think a reloading section would be a good idea. 

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

"I have to agree with Hoss as well on this one. 

Personally, I'd like to see  request for load data get an automated response that sez, "...buy a reloading manual, or several." 

I've been reloading and experimenting with bullets, powders & primers since 1974, I'm constantly reminded that very rarely will two firearms react to one load identically  I have four 45 Colt & six rifles in that cartridge, and no two "LOVE" the same load.  

Frankly, it seems to be less than respectful, maybe a bit naive to ask, "what's your best load in 45 Colt?"  I actually have several.  

There's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.  Ask me for a decent starting place to do your own research... I'm more than glad to help...  But, never expect that my loads will be the cure-all for your ailments.

Archived