SASS Wire Forum

new rifle--Oh my goodness!

was wandering around the LGS trying to stay out of the heat

'for grins' asked to see some of the new lever actions they had on the shelf.  Several brands 'coon fingered'

I had forgotten how smooth our SASS guns are!  The new ones would need quite a bit of work to get even close to being match-ready.

I would hate to be starting out with long guns like those

A LGS had one of the new Henry carbine Henry’s with the 20 barrel and I was really tempted until I saw the price, WOW!! They had an iron frame rifle as well and they both seemed to be fairly smooth, not SS, of course but pretty smooth actions. 

I hear you.  I handled a few new lever guns around Christmas.  LGS had some Rossis, Marlins, and whatever Mossberg is making these days.  I could not believe how stiff the actions were!  I actually double checked to see if the lever might have been zip tied to the stock.  The Uberti's are still nice though.

Remington and co. have let us down in the past. My 2001Marlin is smooth as glass, BUT, that is because of Silent Sam 

doing his magic in it. That said, it never as rough as my other 39AS, but I did not use it for SASS. Still, not as much fun to shoot as 

the 1894. 

Not sure what Marlin and Remington are turning out these days, but I must admit that I would be looking at Italy for a new lever action.

I was tempted to buy a Henry in stainless steel with a black stock in .357. Long lever throw but surprisingly smooth! I'd never use it for CAS so I passed on it! All the LGS around here have nothing but Henry's!!

Archived