SASS Wire Forum

How many "P's" on a stage are too many?

Kirk James

From Marauder's site.  This is what I try to follow. 

I call this the Three Challenge Rule.

From experimentation, these "old timers" found that having up to three challenges added fun variety to the game. But a stage with more than three, or several stage with three, are too much for many folks. The number procedures and misses in the match start to climb significantly. Folks will accept a few misses, but at certain point the fun-factor goes way down.

So what do we mean by "challenges?" Any significant change from the generic stage. Here are some examples:

• Saying a line on the clock.
  • If they have to run more than a few steps.
  • A complicated target sequence
  • Different target sequence between pistols
  • Different sequence with a rifle
  • Shooting at a moving target
  • Shooting flying birds with the shotgun
  • Smaller than normal targets
  • Distant targets
  • Special prop handling
  • Any special gun handling/staging

So if you have a stage where you stage your long guns in scabbords and require a spoken "line" between shooting your long guns, you have added three challenges. Or you can have them shoot the first pistol left to right, then the next pistol right to left - that's one added challenge.

General Recommendation:
You can have 1 and two challenge stages pretty much all day and folks will enjoy it. Add one stage with 3 and it is great. But if you have several stages with 3 challenges or go beyone 3, and folks will struggle through the match.

An interesting sidelight is WHEN folks have trouble. They often survive the "tough stage" or two, then have an increase in misses and procedures on a following easy stage. So keep this in mind as you analyze the after match performance. (I always anayze each stage for the number of misses and number of procedure penalties. If I see a an an average of well over 0.5 misses per stage, there may be a stage design problem.)

On 1/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

Stage 5 BT '17.pdfStage 5 BT '17.pdfStage 5 BT '17.pdf

The real issue with this stage was that the R/P target array was only about 4yds from the firing line, probably way to close for the rifle. There were 7-8 Ps on our posse, the majority earned with the rifle.

I think I kinda like this stage. Can see where ya might brainfart and P, but everyone has the same chance. Doesn't really give anyone an advantage  and Hey, we don't get to take home a Cadillac unless we came in one;)

You know you have a complicated stage or a P Trap when you see shooters like this!:D

instructions.jpg

LOL, Cold Lake Kid!

I've been at a match like that. It was not at a SASS affiliated club. It was at the OWSS club at Chabot Park. I feel so bad as I read the scenario to another shooter and she still got a P. :blush:

BTW on their sign up sheet, it says "price $10, SASS members $15." LOLOLOL!

Archived