SASS Wire Forum

another computer problem

Yesterday my computer would not wake up.  When I turned it off and back on, it said that the Bootstrap program was not available.  It would let me do a system restore to 01/17 and said that it would save my files. That got it running again, but it lost all my favorites and did not have any sound.  When I put the cursor on the audio icon it shows "No Audio Output Device is installed."  I don't mind losing the favorites, I had to find them in the first place, but no audio poses some problems.  Can any of you relieve my ignorance and tell me how to install an Audio Output Device on a HP computer?

Thanks,

Duffield

The very next thing I would do is back up all your important files.  

Next what OS and how old is the computer?  How many hours a day is it on?

Might be a fluke but I would suspect that your Hard Drive is failing.

If you go to HP's website and navigate to customer support for your PC you can download and reinstall the sound card driver.

It has Windows 10 and is about two years old.

I will go to HP's site and load the sound card driver when I get home.

Thanks for the info,

Duffield

Howdy,

I went thru similar a couple weeks  ago.

Best Buy had a stack of returned computers from black friday

and or Christmas. I bought this real nice laptop for $204.

They moved data from old pc to new for about $60.

I  also had them back my files to a separate backup drive.

A day or two later I did long updates.

All seems well.

Might be time for a new computer?

Best

CR

HP told me that with Windows 10 I had to use windows to reinstall the driver.  I went to the Windows control panel and was given a choice of two sound card drivers.  Windows had tried to install the wrong one.   I installed the proper driver, and my sound is back up.

Thanks to Sedalia Dave for pointing me toward the solution. 

Duffield

Windows 10 does seem to be a ..................... problem for those of us who are not bit twiddlers computer savvy.

When I loaded it onto my HP I lost my ability to print to my HP printer, see what was in print cue, save my favourites or access the ones I had saved. I couldn't load data from an external HD.

Took the desk top HP and the HP printer into the shop and had it "fixed" only to find the "Fix" lost it's way on the drive home.

I finally gave up and called in a technician to repair it on site. It took him about 3 hours.

Windows 10 keeps asking me to update to it on my laptop, but that ain't gonna happen.

Archived