SASS Wire Forum

Dog biscuits?

Do you put garlic in them?

Years ago I saw a dog biscuit recipe that called for garlic.

Said the garlic helped repell fleas.

I have recently seen articles saying that garlic is poison to dogs.

I don't use garlic.

bacon fat, peanut butter, brown bits from any pan especially meat.  Grains, whole wheat, oats, cooked rice, maybe a little cheese This time I didn't have enough bacon fat so I added beef fat.  Dogs like smells, so I look around for something that will be interesting without bothering the stomach.

and I never have a box of leftovers.

Seeing this brought to mind: Meat Biscuit

LIST OF PATENTS CLAIMS
ISSUED FROM THE UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE

For the week ending February 9, 1830.

To Gail Borden, Jr., of Galveston, Texas, for preparation of portable Soup Bread.

I do not claim the extract of flesh made into what is known as portable soup; but I claim the new and useful manufacture of desiccated soup-bread, formed of the concentrated extract of alimentary animal substances, combined with vegetable flour or meal, made into cakes and baked into bread, in the manner substantially as herein described, for the purpose set forth.

[This is one of the most valuable inventions that has ever been brought forward, and will be the means of enabling travellers and mariners to enjoy both vegetable and flesh in a most dainty dish at any moment, and what is better, a traveller may carry a month’s provisions in a small tin case. It is now used exclusively by Texan vessels sailing from Galveston.]

23 Mar 1850
New Article of Food - Meat Biscuit.

Some time since we noticed a new kind of Meat Biscuit, or “Portable Desiccated Soup Bread,” invented by Mr. Gail Borden, Jr., a highly respectable citizen of Galveston, Texas. The discovery being fully secured by a patent recently granted, we will give a brief but clear description of it, as it is an invention of the first importance, both to our own country, and it may be said, to the whole human race. The nature of this discovery consists in preserving the concentrated nutritious properties of flesh meat of any kind, combining it with flour and baking it into biscuits. One pound of this bread contains the extract of more than five pounds of the best meat—(containing its usual proportion of bone)—and one ounce of it will make a pint of rich soup. Biscuits by Mr. Borden’s process may be made of beef, veal, fowl's flesh, oysters, &c., and thus in a compact form the very essence of agricultural products, fitted for the traveller or mariner, or for the dwellers in distant cities, may be transported by sea or land, from distant rural districts, where flesh meat is comparatively cheap.

In a letter to Dr. Ashbel Smith, Mr. Borden thus relates the way he made this discovery:

"I was endeavoring to make some portable meat glue (the common kind known) for some friends who were going to California—I had set up a large kettle and evaporating pan, and after two days labour I reduced one hundred and twenty pounds of veal to ten pounds of extract, of a consistence like melted glue and molasses; the weather was warm and rainy, it being the middle of July. I could not dry it either in or out of the house, and unwilling to lose my labour, it occured to me, after various expedients, to mix the article with good flour and bake it. To my great satisfaction, the bread was found to contain all the primary principles of meat, and with a better flavor than simple veal soup, thickened with flour in the ordinary method.

This process of mixing and baking, I found to be easily and quickly done, and to answer the double purpose of concentrating in the same cake, the nutritious properties of animal and vegetable food, so essential to the healthful sustenance of man. This extract of animal flesh may also be combined with corn, or other vegetable meal, and for some marine purposes, I intend to employ the potato and other ascorbutic vegetables, having farinaceous qualities, to desiccate he extract."

Dr. Smith., a gentleman of scientific reputation, has communicated a paper on the subject to Prof. Bache, President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He says,—" I have several times eaten of the soup made of this meat biscuit,” and thus describes the manner of making it:

“The nutritive portions of beef or other meat, immediately on its being slaughtered, are, by long boiling, separated from the bones and fibrous and cartilaginous matters: the water holding the nutritious matters in solution, is evaporated to a considerable degree of spissitude—this is then made into a dough with firm wheaten flour, the dough rolled and cut into a form of biscuits, is then desiccated, or baked in an oven at a moderate heat. The cooking, both of the flour and the animal food, is thus complete. The meat biscuits thus prepared have the appearance and firmness of the nicest crackers or navy bread, being as dry, and breaking or pulverizing as readily as the most carefully made table crackers. It is preserved in the form of biscuit, or reduced to coarse flour or meal. It is best kept in tin cases hermetically soldered up ; the exclusion of air is not important, humidity alone is to be guarded against.

I have seen some of the biscuit perfectly fresh and sound that have been hanging in sacks since last July in Mr. Borden’s kitchen: and it is to be borne in mind, that in this climate articles contract moisture and moulder promptly, unless kept dry by artificial heat.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

Said the garlic helped repell fleas.

I have recently seen articles saying that garlic is poison to dogs.

Garlic helps repell all sorts of parasites.  In the amounts that should be given to dogs, garlic is non-toxic. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I've seen what goes into cheap dog food.  

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Not all kibble is bad.   Trust me, i know exactly what goes into protein fillers and dog food fillers.  Its my job as a USDA inspector.  Unfortunately, its the job of the FDA to inspect pet food plants (finished product) and they sorely lack funding.   To each their own though. If you want to post a recipe, i will try them out for my dogs. 

IMG_1469.JPG

42 minutes ago, Ginny Hinny said:

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Not all kibble is bad.   Trust me, i know exactly what goes into protein fillers and dog food fillers.  Its my job as a USDA inspector.  Unfortunately, its the job of the FDA to inspect pet food plants (finished product) and they sorely lack funding.   To each their own though. If you want to post a recipe, i will try them out for my dogs. 

IMG_1469.JPG

When I drew the truckload of dogfood to take to East Boston, I would have to say it was not USDA inspected, it was '68-69.   The last time I actually got my hands dirty for work.

That looks like mostly collies, a well-behaved bunch.

33 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I drew the truckload of dogfood to take to East Boston, I would have to say it was not USDA inspected, it was '68-69.   The last time I actually got my hands dirty for work.

That looks like mostly collies, a well-behaved bunch.

Australian Shepherds and they are only well behaved when waiting on treats. Things have changed quite a bit since that time, they have also changed a lot more in the last 4-5 years. 

Yes, we make our own.  That way we can control what goes into them.  We use ONLY human grade ingredients.  We make peanut butter; apple (using apple sauce); carrot; pumpkin; and a few others.  We use oat flour (grind our own using quick oats), honey, vegetable oil, molasses, yogurt.  Our previous dog was allergic to peanut butter and to wheat.  Try finding a dog biscuit that does not contain wheat.  It was a real treat to have to clean up vomit daily until we found he was allergic to the treats we were giving to him.

15 hours ago, Ginny Hinny said:

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

IMG_1469.JPG

What a beautiful pack!!! :)

We currently have 3 girls (2 blue merles and 1 black tri)

Have had as many as 5 girls (2 blue, 1 red tri, 1 black tri and a red merle) plus 1 neutered male doberman when we lived in a 40 foot 5th wheel. That was a challenge but the memories were worth it.

A bit envious but know I could not keep up with that many today.

All the best

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On October 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Ginny Hinny said:

Not when its much cheaper to buy them. My hoard loves the CostCo brand.  Do you need a dog? 

What I give my dog's also....... Next time your thier pick up a bottle of there kirkland brand 7yr old bourbon , not for the dog's fyi!!

On 10/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, Colt B.A. Blastn Johnson said:

What I give my dog's also....... Next time your thier pick up a bottle of there kirkland brand 7yr old bourbon , not for the dog's fyi!!

Im not much for hard liquor but if i am ever headed out your way, i will pick up a bottle for you! 

5 hours ago, Ginny Hinny said:

Im not much for hard liquor but if i am ever headed out your way, i will pick up a bottle for you! 

Sounds like a plan....... You enjoy your night ma'am ;)

Archived