SASS Wire Forum

Shooting the old guns - part two

Warden Callaway

59bac387c12db_Winchester7338WCFSept2017.jpg.5df28787188813f6beb555696d255cce.jpg59bac37704b80_Winchester7338WCFSept2017b.jpg.03e065fea0cce8a945512f424a3b41d8.jpg

We went on a tour of a couple of our favorite gunshops yesterday.   At the first one was this 1873 made in 1889 Winchester in 38WCF.  A little rough on the outside but looks to be complete and original.   The general operation seems to be in order.  The bore is dark but the rifling looks strong and sharp.  

We went back today with trading stock.  The gunshop guy had no problems letting me take the side plates off to examine the links and bolt.  Not that I'm an expert,  I didn't see any damage or poor repair.  We made a swap.  

It was a local gun.  Grandpa passed away.  The grandkids got the gun and promptly traded in for tacticool guns.  

It'll be fun to unravel just what I have.  Just up the road is a rabid Winchester collector. I may start by letting him give info on the gun.

I intend to shoot it but not in any hurry.  I have an old gunsmith buddy that knows a lot about these old guns. A few of the screws are buggered up. He may have original parts.  I'll probably slug the barrel to see where to start on bullet size. Then I'll get dies and bullets. 

Warden:

Such a lucky and timely find. Congrats.

These opportunities don't come along every day, you've got to grab them while you can.

Keep us posted. 

Comforting news came out of my visit with Winchester collector friend.   

He recognized the gun and had actually taken the plates off and examined the insides.  He said it was very shootable conditions.  There was nothing wrong with it and the price was very reasonable.   He didn't buy it because it wasn't unique or in a high collectable condition.  

He went on to answer my questions about this specific gun but also 73s in general. I asked him about the swag worn in the forend ahead of the receiver.  He said it was from riding over a saddle.  He said he's seen some where the wood is worn through to the magizine tube.  Also, that I lucked out and nobody has sanded the wood or metal. (Looks like someone has been Cowboy Action Shooting with it!)  He asked if I wanted to see if it worked.  Yeah.  He pulled open a drawer and pulled out a couple of dummy rounds and put them in the magazine and cycled them through. 

I have one in the same caliber made in 1890. Haven't found an expiration date on it yet, so I shoot the heck out of it with BP. Nothing stops the loading table in it's tracks like when I bring it out to shoot the last stage of a match with it.

Congratulations on a great find .

59bc4c12edaff_Winchester73leverscrewSept2017.jpg.6ebeb3719e1f32ecd2b73e8a19a1bcfe.jpg

I hit all the screws with some penetrating oil this morning.   I lubed up the links.  The hammer screw is the only one really buggered up.  One lever spring screw is wrong.  But at this point, if it ain't broke I'm not in a rush to fix it. 

Sawmill Mary decided she needed to mow grass this morning.   I don't know why because we hadn't had any rain for weeks.  But the battery was dead in her mower.  So,  seeings how we had to go and get a new battery anyway,  I figured we may as well extend the trip to Grafs and get cases, dies, bullets and cartridge boxes. So now I have what I need to make loads for the rifle.

I got out and shot it this morning.  All went well.  My loads were BlackMZ in Starline cases with Missouri Bullet company 180 grain bullets.  The stiff breeze quartering from my front right and bright sun robbed us of the smoke. Distance was 25 steps.

Next I'll shoot it at cardboard to see if it will group.

59be7edf3613a_Winchester73groupSep2017.jpg.7c276d6b6bb8dd89a54ccb0dc5c6bf78.jpg

First 5 shots at 25 steps over improvised shooting bench (TV tray table).  I think the gun can do better. 

My list of excuses; 

100% humidity and pollen at 10 - I couldn't breathe and my eyes were matting over. 

Big storm moving in and gutters hadn't been cleaned since early spring.  So I was rushing to get my shooting in and gutters cleaned before the rains.  I almost made it.  Got wet getting the last one cleaned. 

I'll clean it up and wait for a nicer day and try again. Maybe at the range with a proper shooting bench and sandbags. 

• 2 weeks later...

We shot a match with the Mountain Oyster Gang at Higginsville, Missouri today.  I must say I'm real proud of my old Wincherster.  I knew I was going to take it for show and tell.  That notion evolved into at least shooting it in a couple of stages. I shot the first two stages clean. So far so good so I continued on to shoot the next two stages clean.    I hadn't considered shooting it on stages 5 and 6 because the rifle targets are at about 50 yards and I had only shot the rifle and loads on cardboard at 25 steps.  But I kind of figured I'd shot 4 stages clean,  I was obligated to shoot the last two.   I missed one rifle target on stage 5.  I missed it, not the rifle. Then I missed one pistol on stage 6. 

While I got a lot of enjoyment from shooting the old gun, it was at some cost.  The original springs have not weakened with age.  The steel crescent buttplate without a butt boot would slip from my shoulder when I worked the lever. The tiny V notch in the rear sight and sharp front blade sight took a lot of concentration to get a good bead.  

Sometimes it's not how fast you can get there, it's just enjoying the trip. 

On 10/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Sometimes it's not how fast you can get there, it's just enjoying the trip.

Amen.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Warden Callaway said:

....pictures removed only to conserve space....

I also like the old loading tools.  Got a great buy on this vintage !Lyman Ideal 55 powder measure. The instructions are crumbled but otherwise as good as new.

Warden:

Not sure if this applies to your older model, but here is a printable copy.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/catalog/product/7/7/7767783_no._55_adjustible_powder_measure_english.pdf

Archived