SASS Wire Forum

Oakland A's

Subdeacon Joe

A's blow it again in ninth, swept on walk-off grand slam in 10th

Steve Pearce became the latest Blue Jay to hit a game-ending home run.

Pearce hit a tiebreaking grand slam in the 10th inning and Toronto beat the Oakland Athletics 8-4 on Thursday to complete a four-game sweep.

"Hopefully we just keep the ball rolling," Pearce said. "We're getting down to the end of the season so we've got to step it up and this was a great series to get it started."

Oakland reliever Liam Hendriks (3-2) walked the bases loaded with two outs before Pearce hooked a 3-2 pitch down the left field line and into the second deck. The grand slam was the second of his career and first since May 2015.

The Blue Jays won consecutive games on home runs for the first time in team history.

Kendrys Morales, who hit a game-winning homer in the ninth inning Wednesday, had two more home runs Thursday. Morales connected off Sean Manaea in the fifth and added a tying blast off Blake Treinen in the ninth, the 19th multihomer game of his career.

Treinen got the ninth in place of Santiago Casilla, who blew Wednesday's game. The Athletics have blown five of their past six save opportunities.

"We're just having trouble finishing off games," manager Bob Melvin said.

Geeee....ya think?  With a record of 44 and 58, 23 1/2 games behind, might could be they also have trouble beginning games, too.

Melvin has been trying to get career win 1000 for 5 or 6 games now. Must be frustrating. It's really not his fault that the front office keeps expecting him to win with triple A players. 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A's blow it again in ninth, swept on walk-off grand slam in 10th

Geeee....ya think?  With a record of 44 and 58, 23 1/2 games behind, might could be they also have trouble beginning games, too.

You are very astute, Joe. :lol:

I guess I shouldn't  shoot my mouf off though. Dang Cardinals are making me crazy this year. 

8 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Melvin has been trying to get career win 1000 for 5 or 6 games now. Must be frustrating. It's really not his fault that the front office keeps expecting him to win with triple A players. 

Shades of Charlie Finley!

They're looking to move Sonny Grey, the one bright spot in their starting rotation. I heard the other night that he'd pitches 6+ innings and they had given up 4 unearned runs!! I wish he'd find a solid team to pitch for. He's a Cy Young class pitcher if he gets a little defensive and run support!!

Archived