SASS Wire Forum

Italian made Walker

Willie Earp, SASS#19022

So I have just acquired a Walker, 44 cal BP pistol.  The piece seems to be devoid of a makers mark, and I wanted to see if anyone on the wire had a clue as to who it was made by?

Here are some particulars:

* Stamped “Replica Arms, Marietta, Ohio”, “Made in Italy” and “1847” on the barrel

* Italian proof marks, on the barrel, frame, and cylinder

* Stamped “XXIII” (made in 1967) on the frame

* A three (3) digit serial number (all matching) on the barrel, frame and trigger guard.

The frame has a nice case hardening job, but the action is really rough.  This piece looks like a total safe queen, for the previous owners. So, given the date of manufacture, I am thinking either Uberti, Pedersoli, or Chiappa, because all the others came afterwards, but I am not sure which one.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

W.E.

Interesting, will be following. I have one of these as well. I've shot mine a few times, one of these days may drag it out to a plainsman match just for the fun of it!

"Replica Arms INC. moved to Ohio in 1965 and was acquired by Navy Arms in 1973/74. "

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?421060-Dating-a-Replica-Arms-Revolver

"ASM was one of the first Italian manufacturers back in 1960 along with Uberti. Replica Arms was the first importer for ASM revolvers, the first being the 1847 Walker."

http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?417059-Armi-San-Marco-History-Needed

Top revolver in this photo is an ASM (Armi San Marco) Walker replica...lower two are both Ubertis.

Biggest differences are:

1) Hammer spur

2) Front sight

3) Quality/brightness of "color case-hardening"

Walkers-L.jpg

58 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Did you ever pack all three at the same time , PWB??

Think of the smoke , about 50 grs in each chamber , dispatch two gunfighter style , quickly followed by the other.

Yeehaw , Rex :D

No (haven't run into a "Josey Wales" option locally...yet); but I do have a Gunfighter rig for that pair of EMF Ubertis.
:ph34r:

Armi San Marco......that's my guess, and most likely correct which regards to linkage posted above.

I have an ASM Walker myself, action was like rubbing chunks of asphalt together and wondering why it wasn't buttery smooth.  So I just took it all apart, got emery paper/files and smoothed out all the parts.  Eliminating all the rough/sharp edges.  Now it cycles nice and smooth.

Yea, I think that it is an ASM, based on the inputs you fellas have given me.

"ASM was one of the first Italian manufacturers back in 1960 along with Uberti. Replica Arms was the first importer for ASM revolvers, the first being the 1847 Walker."  - Quote from Red Cent

I have compared mine to the pic that PaleWolf sent.  The hammer spur appears to be more like the Uberti, but not exactly.  The front sight has been filed down quite a bit, and lost all of the original shape.  The case hardening is good compared to other BP guns that I have seen, but that is still somewhat objective.  I will add here that the wedge hole is quite a bit longer than needed, and even more than the ASM in the picture.  It appears that ASM makes that hole larger than needed, so add that to you list of differences.

THANKS!

Regards,

W.E.

Archived