SASS Wire Forum

Questin for Military buffs.

On the thread about sewing I have some patches that came from my Grand Fathers WW1 uniform. Can anyone tell me what unit they were from. I know he was in during the war but don't know if he went over. He was a Sargent in the Quartermaster Corps and he had these patches on his uniform. There is a Wolverine and a red chevron. I don't think that they were placed as seen on the blanket. Also his Sargent stripes. I have a postcard picture of him somewhere around here postmarked in Michigan. As far as I know he always lived in Wisconsin. We did not live close to my grand parents so I never really got to ask him about any of that stuff. IMG_0679.thumb.JPG.1beb6ead6b72f100109f56e17bbe6f48.JPG 

IMG_0680.JPG

104th ID :  http://www.104infdiv.org/

The red chevron is a discharge chevron,  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/211468-the-ww-i-discharge-chevron/

The Red Chevron

The red chevron is the sign that you have been honorably discharged; that you have passed from the military to civil jurisdiction. It will save you being fussed by P.G.’s and M.P.’s, but it conveys no right to you to fuss them. The red chevron is prescribed to be worn by discharged officers and enlisted men as a recognition of duties performed in the service of their country. It also must be worn by discharged officers who accept commissions in the officers reserve corps, until called to active duty.

Moreover it is unlawful under the National Defense Act, for the uniform to be worn by either discharged officers or enlisted men, without this distinctive mark, and an offender renders himself liable to prosecution and, upon conviction, to a punishment not exceeding $300, or by imprisonment not exceeding 6 months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

A free issue of three red chevrons, one for the blouse, one for the overcoat, and one for the O. D. shirt will be made to all enlisted personnel. Discharged officers will find a supply on sale by the Quartermaster at all demobilization camps.

Where Do We Go from Here: This is the Real Dope, 1919, William Brown Meloney, page 26

For the Doughboys still serving in France the following appeared in the Stars and Stripes newspaper:

Red Chevron for Discharge

The circular points out that after an officer or enlisted man has been discharged, he is not subject to military regulations, although there are civil laws which prevent abuse of the uniform. The red chevron has been adopted to distinguish discharged men from those still in the service.

In conclusion, the circular says that the impersonating of officers and the wearing the uniform by those not entitled to them should be prosecuted under an act passed by congress on June 3, 1916, providing as a maximum punishment upon conviction, a fine of $300, six months imprisonment or both. It is pointed out that the observance of the usual military courtesies, such as the salute, can not be forced upon such discharged officers and enlisted men in uniform who do not wish to be governed by them.

Stars and Stripes Newspaper, March 28, 1919, page 7

03 Felt Discharge Chevron.jpg

Wolverine Patch info. Seems this patch from WWI is kinda rare.

Fourteenth Infantry Division / 14th Division

NAME: 
Fourteenth Infantry Division / 14th Division

NICKNAME: 
“Wolverine Division”

BATTLE HONORS:
No battle honors reported.

ACTIVATED:
July 29, 1918

DEACTIVATED:
Feb 1919

HISTORY:

This division was a ghost division during World War II.

"Popularly known as the "Wolverine Division." Insignia, a green shield upon which is superimposed a yellow disc containing the head of a wolverine in black. Organized at Camp Custer, Michigan, on July 29, 1918. The 10th and 40th Regular Army Infantry Regiments were ordered to Camp Custer in the latter part of July as a part of the 14th Division and these regiments furnished the nucleus for the organization of the other infantry units of the division. The artillery brigade was organized on August 10, 1918, and training for overseas service was begun immediately. 

The 214th Regiment of Engineers was organized at Camp Forest, Ga., on August 14, 1918, and training for overseas service was began immediately. The 214th Regiment of Engineers was organized at Camp Forest, Ga., on August 14, 1918, and joined the division at Camp Custer on October 31, 1918. The 214th Field Signal Battalion was organized on July 13, 1918 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and arrived at Camp Custer on July 25, 1918. All other units of the division were organized and undergoing intensive training at Camp Custer by the first week in November and at the time of the signing of the armistice the division was being rounded into shape for service at the front. Demobilization of the division was commenced January 27, 1919, and by the last of February all units not belonging to the Regular Army had been demobilized. 

Commanders of division: Col. Sam. Burkhardt, July 28 to Sept. 5, 1918; Brig. Gen. H. L. Laubach, Sept. 5 to Nov. 9, 1918; Maj.Gen. Grote Hutcheson, Nov. 9 until demobilization. 

The division was composed of the following organizations: 14th Hqs. Troop, 40th Div. Machine Gun Bn., 27th Inf. Brig. (10th and 77th Inf. Regts, 41st Machine Gun Bn.), 28th Inf. Brig (40th and 78th Inf. Regts, 42nd Machine Gun Bn), 14th Fld. Arty. Brig. (40th, 41st, and 42nd Fld. Arty. Regts. 14th Trench Mortar Battery, 214th Engr. Regt., 214th Engr. Train, 214th Fld. Sig. Bn., 14th Train Hqs and M.P., 14th Supply Train, 14th Sanitary Train (Field Hospitals and Amb. Cos. 253, 254, 255, and 256).

40 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Patch is 14th Division not regiment.

Archived