SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Cowboy Limited in .38 Spl.

It's a model 1894CB - 38 Special, blue, 20" octagon barrel, made in 2002 (S/N 98xxxxxx), straight smooth stock and forearm, in excellent condition. Has an action job (rounded hammer, smoothed ejector, etc.).

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of critter? I regularly use a .38 Codymatic Uberti carbine for CAS and a .44 Marlin for Wild Bunch. The action on this Marlin seems to be between the two mentioned guns. It's fairly heavy because of the barrel. I'll probably try it this weekend. 

Sounds identical to mine Church. Used it for many years when I shot B-Western. It's retired now since I gave up B-Western and bought my 73 Codymatic.

Good gun, I never had a bit of trouble with it in all the years I shot it. Mine was originally tuned by Cash at Mid-MD. Gun. I always ran 105 or 125 TC bullets to regular 38 special lengths, ran like a champ.

Since it is a Marlin, make sure the loading gate screw it tight or you will get the Dreaded Marlin Jam.

I mostly shoot Marlins and the best thing to do is to use Blue Loctite on the screws and check them before a match.

Maddog McCoy

Maybe one of you can let me know the OAL of the .38 SPL cartridges you are/were using for smooth function.

My .38 SPL chambered Cowboy Comp. doesn't like the 105 gr truncated cone flat point bullets I have been using with my revolvers, my wife's Rossi '92, my Win/Miroku '73, my Uberti '66, or my 357 MAG/38 SPL '94 CSS. 

I will say that I am unaware of any work done to my Cowboy Comp. since it left the Marlin factory.  Definitely not as smooth (yet, I hope) as my Cody Conagher tuned CSS.

My Cowboy Comp. recently also stopped ejecting the last spent casing for some reason.  Cost me a minor safety during a stage.  Replaced the ejector with the factory one (not the aftermarket one, like from WWG) and ejection of the last casing is better, but not really forceful.

Overall I'm not overly impressed with a stock Cowboy Competition.  I guess that I am finding out what others found out when the guns were launched - Although they had a Marlin "factory action job", this was not really sufficient nor as good as one done by a cowboy gunsmith.

Boy, a couple of things I really miss since changing over to B Western:

1)  Shooting my '73!

2)  Being able to wear Cooler Cowboy shirts!

TMH

Sounds like you need a good tune up on your cowboy comp. Anyone that I know that has one, still had it tuned up, they weren't happy with the "factory tune".

My OAL is 1.450 with 105 tc's.

Wife:wub: has run a Marlin .38 Cowboy Competition since day one. Load ammo to a OAL of 1.470"-1.480".

Went to a 1 piece FP after the OEM broke. Had to rebuild the carrier one time to correct the 'Marlin jam'.

Be sure to change the plastic OEM mag follower it a metal one.

Keep ALL the screws 'TITE'.

OLG

12 hours ago, TMH said:

Maybe one of you can let me know the OAL of the .38 SPL cartridges you are/were using for smooth function.

My .38 SPL chambered Cowboy Comp. doesn't like the 105 gr truncated cone flat point bullets I have been using with my revolvers, my wife's Rossi '92, my Win/Miroku '73, my Uberti '66, or my 357 MAG/38 SPL '94 CSS. 

I will say that I am unaware of any work done to my Cowboy Comp. since it left the Marlin factory.  Definitely not as smooth (yet, I hope) as my Cody Conagher tuned CSS.

My Cowboy Comp. recently also stopped ejecting the last spent casing for some reason.  Cost me a minor safety during a stage.  Replaced the ejector with the factory one (not the aftermarket one, like from WWG) and ejection of the last casing is better, but not really forceful.

Overall I'm not overly impressed with a stock Cowboy Competition.  I guess that I am finding out what others found out when the guns were launched - Although they had a Marlin "factory action job", this was not really sufficient nor as good as one done by a cowboy gunsmith.

Boy, a couple of things I really miss since changing over to B Western:

1)  Shooting my '73!

2)  Being able to wear Cooler Cowboy shirts!

What is the COAL of these 105's? 

Check to see the ejector spring is not broken.

Make sure ALL screws are 'TITE'!

When is the last time a deep cleaning was done?

OLG

Archived