SASS Wire Forum

ABNER DOUBLEDAY

Sedalia Dave

Interesting. I love getting a good history lesson

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I took the above pic while we were at the SE Regional. It was a great ferry trip out to the fort. I did not know about Abner Doubleday's war service until I saw his name on the plaque. 

Neither did I. Was a trivia question on the radio this afternoon.  They credited him with firing the first shot and inventing baseball.  Based on what I read this evening he probably didn't actually fire the first shot although he was probably in command of the troops that did. I also had no idea until today that the baseball thing was a myth.

Not to hijack the thread, but the name under Doubleday's in John Barleycorn's photo is "Jefferson C. Davis".   I wondered if he was a relative of the CSA President so I  found him in Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_C._Davis

Turns out he was not related, but he was a character, got away with shooting one of his fellow generals!!  :o

Here I was all set to debunk the Baseball myth and you go and post something factual. :D

I have a photo in a regimental history of the 48th New York Infantry that shows them and the 47th New York playing baseball in 1863. I think it was at Ft Pulaski after the confederates surrendered the fort.

I forget who one. I'll have to get the book out again.

Archived