SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Hardpan

Hey BMC, what the hell is a 2 weight? I know its a flyrod, but I fish with a 40 year old Fenwick, a Phlueger 1495 that I bought in 1956. Don't know how to weigh it!!

Badger, you must be talented. Never could get good at casting a 2 weight. I fished for a while with a friend in Colorado that was magical with a 2 weight. I always brought a back up ultra light casting rod. He told me it was because I was an impatience caster whatever that means . 

4 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Hey BMC, what the hell is a 2 weight? I know its a flyrod, but I fish with a 40 year old Fenwick, a Phlueger 1495 that I bought in 1956. Don't know how to weigh it!!

Well, Sage, my 2 wt. is a 7' 9" soft LL (Light Line) action Sage blank that a fellow built into a wonderful fly rod for me.

It was sold as a 2 wt. blank, but I uploaded it to a 3 wt. line. I used a 2 wt for years but decided to try a 3 wt. last year.

Truth be known, I can't really tell much difference in the rod's action.

4 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Badger, you must be talented. Never could get good at casting a 2 weight. I fished for a while with a friend in Colorado that was magical with a 2 weight. I always brought a back up ultra light casting rod. He told me it was because I was an impatience caster whatever that means . 

A body has to know his limits, Tom. I could never cast a 2/3 wt as far as a 5 wt. But the smaller size rod is designed for

finesse fishing up close and personal. At least mine is.  :D

Wow..... a TWO weight!!

Dang, Badger, I be impressed as all get-out!  :blush:

Ha!  Reckon you're a 28 ga skeet shooter, too!  :lol:

My post was meant to be a jab at how flyfishing has got so "modern" I use all my 50 year old stuff (even sometime older when I use my Grampa"s split bamboo rod) and the fish don't know any difference. My old Fenwick is one of their original "ferralite" models that I got new in the 60's. I still use Scientific Anglers line (2 spools for the reel), both floating and sinking. The bass, bluegill and crappie in my pond eat my homemade poppers like crazy and my tackle makes it as good as fighting a big marlin.

The modern stuff just raced by me years ago....LOL

8 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My post was meant to be a jab at how flyfishing has got so "modern" I use all my 50 year old stuff (even sometime older when I use my Grampa"s split bamboo rod) and the fish don't know any difference. My old Fenwick is one of their original "ferralite" models that I got new in the 60's. I still use Scientific Anglers line (2 spools for the reel), both floating and sinking. The bass, bluegill and crappie in my pond eat my homemade poppers like crazy and my tackle makes it as good as fighting a big marlin.

The modern stuff just raced by me years ago....LOL

I can relate to that. I was looking at a Cabelas' fly fishing catalogue the other day. The are carrying a new version of the

Pflueger Medalist fly reel that looks like the original. Price doesn't though. I think I paid $14.00 for my first reel and it was a

Medalist 1495.. That thing had a drag that would stop your car. Most of my stuff came out of the 1960s and 1970s.

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Wow..... a TWO weight!!

Dang, Badger, I be impressed as all get-out!  :blush:

Ha!  Reckon you're a 28 ga skeet shooter, too!  :lol:

Hah, I would love to have a nice 28 gauge for Mr. Bob White and friends.

46 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I can relate to that. I was looking at a Cabelas' fly fishing catalogue the other day. The are carrying a new version of the

Pflueger Medalist fly reel that looks like the original. Price doesn't though. I think I paid $14.00 for my first reel and it was a

Medalist 1495.. That thing had a drag that would stop your car. Most of my stuff came out of the 1960s and 1970s.

I bought mine when I was 15 in 1956, paid about 15.00 for it. Yep the drag still works. I was working at Red's Meadows Resort and Pack Station near Mammoth Mt. in the High Sierras and fished every day after work and on all my days off.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Lucky you. I didn't discover fly fishing until 1966.

Moving to Washington, I watched a couple of fellows fly fishing in the Missouri River

near Yellowstone.  I was hooked.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

When are we going to get a battle report on that new shotgun?

Won't be 'til next week sometime at the earliest.

Plans for last weekend were rained out...  and this week I'm going to the Shoot-Out at Fort Miller. Sshhhhhh.....!  *:-$ don't tell anyone shh!

:rolleyes:

Archived