SASS Wire Forum

Marlin straight trigger

Attica Jack  #23953

A while back, there was some discussion about a Marlin straight trigger. I searched the site and cannot find the discussion about this trigger. My first question is, if this trigger exists would it be legal? My second question is, where would someone find the trigger? While dry firing my Marlin 94, the only thing I did was to mash my trigger finger between the lever and the trigger................ouch!!!!!!

That one should be interesting to see the responses! I think there are a lot of things that are rather subjective. At the end of the day, I see more than a few straight triggers in Win 73s now. I can't see how putting one in a Marlin is any different. And yes I am well acquainted with the Marlin bite! Ouch is right. I believe Slick has the straight triggers for sale which are also a one piece design to get rid of the Marlin flop.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

Phantom Trigger $65

We have Phantom triggers in 4 of our Marlins. We bought ours from Gunsmith Frank while at matches. All 4 required enlarging the pin hole a few thousands. I asked why and it was explained that the hole was made to the small size to accommodate pin size variations over the years. Otherwise a drop in fit. Works well and eliminates the floppy trigger.

That one should be interesting to see the responses! I think there are a lot of things that are rather subjective. At the end of the day, I see more than a few straight triggers in Win 73s now. I can't see how putting one in a Marlin is any different. And yes I am well acquainted with the Marlin bite! Ouch is right. I believe Slick has the straight triggers for sale which are also a one piece design to get rid of the Marlin flop.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

Phantom Trigger $65

This info is KEE-RECT.

Right now, Slick is at WR. But he sells the straight trigger for the Marlin 1894, called the 'Phantom Trigger'.

and YES, it is SASS legal.

..........Widder

Jack....Dry firing....like in......practiceing......what is the world coming to....LOL....see Ya when it warms up a tad more.......Faygo

IMHO, the straight trigger is the answer to a non existant problem. Never had an issue with factory triggers.

Al

I have a small scar on my trigger finger where I ran the trigger through my finger. Just trying to shoot like the big boys. I must admit I haven't done it again. A rather effective learning experience.

One of the main positives of the straight trigger is that it eliminates the 'trigger flop' that the factory 2-piece trigger has.

This allows the shooter to practice and learn where the trigger is ALWAYS located when closing the lever.

The 'floppy' trigger may never be in the same position and therefore, more apt to 'bite' the shooter sometimes.

And don't get me wrong, the trigger bite can occur with ANY trigger style/configuration.

(yes, I've had the factory trigger actually puncture thru my trigger finger and thanks to Last Kiss and Fast Harley having some super glue available, I would have still been bleeding like a stuck pig)

Another positive (IMHO) is that the straight trigger sits little further back closer to the back of the trigger guard. I think this also helps a shooter.

Now, after saying all that, I use the curve trigger like the 'Trigger Happy' because I had already purchased them and prefer the curve trigger. Maybe I'm just use to them. Plus, I round off the bottom of this trigger which helps eliminate SERIOUS puncturing, although my finger still gets pinched sometimes.

A cowboy pard name Slater welds the 2-piece factory trigger together in the correct position and this also eliminates the trigger flop.

I don't know what some of the faster shooters use, but I believe this: if you think the straight trigger helps you, then it will probably help you. If you think the factory type trigger or a curved trigger like the Trigger Happy is best for you, then it will probably be your right choice.

That, of course, is just my HO.

..........Widder

Archived