SASS Wire Forum

Question: Converting NV Birdsheads to Plowshare

J. Frank Norfleet

I have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros birdsheads I am thinking of converting to plowshare grips. The Birdsheads don't have the internal lock while the plowshare grip frames I've located are made for the internal lock. Will the old style hammer spring assembly work in the frames designed for the internal lock or will I need a new hammer spring assembly?

Howdy,

It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't just trade the birdshead rugers for standard on the

Wire.

I mean trade the whole guns.

It would be way less fuss unless you just enjoy the exercise.

There might even be someone local to you so you wouldn't need shippin etc.

Just a thought pard.

Best

CR

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

You beat me to the draw on that, CR.

It would be much easier. I have done a bunch of grip frame swapping.

It can be a PITA.

We actually call them plowhandles, not plowshares.

I have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros birdsheads I am thinking of converting to plowshare grips. The Birdsheads don't have the internal lock while the plowshare grip frames I've located are made for the internal lock. Will the old style hammer spring assembly work in the frames designed for the internal lock or will I need a new hammer spring assembly?

To answer the actual question the answer is yes. If the new gripframes have the lock the strut and mainspring have to be replaced. They are shorter.

You can order the plowhandle grip frames direct from Ruger. None of the frames they are selling now come with an internal lock, so all your parts will interchange. The steel ones will come "in the white" and the stainless ones will not be polished. Fitting to mate with the cylinder frame will be necessary. The only other thing you will need is two pair of grips. I like the ones from altamont.

Larsen's post jogged a memory of an article he wrote on Shotgun Boogie's Ruger short stroke in the January 2013 Chronicle. Shotgun Boogie sells a hammer stop that replaces the internal lock. I also got a text from Boggus Deal that a mainspring seat for the Ruger Bearcat will also work.

Thanks all.

JFN

Archived