SASS Wire Forum

1.5 Miles. Twice

DocWard

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/hollywood-helped-sniper-achieve-record-breaking-kill-shot

But his distance estimate put the two fighters 900 meters outside of the effective range of his rifle.

But he didn’t give up. He figured he would have to fire 6 feet high, and 20 inches to the left of his target to account for the drop of the bullet, the estimated wind, and the spin of the earth.

What was the firearm?

According to this link it was an Accuracy International L115A3 in .338 Lapua Magnum

While looking this up it is interesting that there apparently are no records between 1875 (Billy Dixon 1406 meters) and 1967 (Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, 2286 meters).

I cannot believe that there were no long distance shots recorded during WWI, WWII, or Korea for the US much less any other countries.

I'm not sure what's worse, having to calculate the spin of the Earth while shooting, or the fact that there's an actual world record for kill shots.

While I agree that there is something of the macabre about keeping record of such things, it is no more so than keeping track of aces in aerial combat. Wherever people gather, there is a desire to know how good someone is, and how they stack up. It is no different for soldiers and warriors. I am sure that there were archers, spearmen and others doing the same thing among themselves millennia ago. I'm equally sure that CPL Harrison wasn't so interested in obtaining a record as he was getting the machine gun fire off his guys.

As for the coriolis effect, that's just plain cool!

Archived