SASS Wire Forum

Pickled Eggs

Subdeacon Joe

I've done it and they are great.

When I was about 13 years old my family moved from the panhandle of Nebraska to the high mountain town of Creede, Colorado. My stepdad wanted to be a miner and work along with my uncles. One of my uncles owned a bar in Creede and man did I love going in there with my cousin and getting free cokes and eating the best pickled eggs in the world. Well back in those days the 4th of July in Creede was one big drunken party. My cousin and I were in my uncles bar and we had both eaten a large number of pickled eggs and one of the drunk bar patrons thought that it would be a hoot to let us drink a shot of tequila. I remember him telling me that to do it right you have to drink the entire shot glass of tequila in one swallow. Well it came up easier than it went down and so did about a half a dozen pickled eggs. To this day for some reason I can't eat pickled eggs.

From my days in the Navy, a guy in our shop who "hit the beach" practically every night loved pickled eggs - everyone in our shop hated the damn things (second time around). this guy could cause an immediate evacuation of the entire shop!

Archived