SASS Wire Forum

What parts to replace and when?

Shooting Bull

........ if something bad is going to happen to your gun, it will happen at the worst possible time. :(

I've been competition shooting fire a LONG time and truer words have never been spoken. Hopefully I can come up with a good list of parts to replace every other year or so to help minimize the phenomenon.

Possible silly question, but why replace that washer with an e-clip. First I've ever heard of this improvement. Been runnin' my Marlin 94s for 17 years and haven't had any problem with that particular part. Already have all the other tuning stuff - firing pin, springs, etc. Need to get extractor & ejector springs.

Joe Cross

Not a silly question and your Marlins may be early enough not to have the washer Widder is talking about. If your guns have the pivoting, machined stop in the carrier, you're ok. If it has the round plunger type, his advice is good to do. The little pressed on washer has been know to break. And cause the gun to not run. The e-clips are a much better solution.

Not a silly question and your Marlins may be early enough not to have the washer Widder is talking about. If your guns have the pivoting, machined stop in the carrier, you're ok. If it has the round plunger type, his advice is good to do. The little pressed on washer has been know to break. And cause the gun to not run. The e-clips are a much better solution.

Indeed. Thanks Boggus.

In MY experience, not only with my own rifles but other Marlin 1894's as well, one of the 'Archilles Heel' of the Marlin is the manner in which the carrier is designed AND the manner in which the 'Plunger Stud' (used in the newer style carriers) are set up by the factory.

Although the 1/8" Eclip is also metal and can still break (just like any other thing), of the past 5 years I have been using them on my rifles and installing them on other 1894's, they have proven MUCH MORE reliable than the washer fixture on that plunger stud.

PLUS, with the 1/8" Eclip, its possible to remove it, clean out the plunger hole if crude gets in it, and replace. You can use the present Eclip or replace with a new one.

..........Widder

Indeed. Thanks Boggus.

In MY experience, not only with my own rifles but other Marlin 1894's as well, one of the 'Archilles Heel' of the Marlin is the manner in which the carrier is designed AND the manner in which the 'Plunger Stud' (used in the newer style carriers) are set up by the factory.

Although the 1/8" Eclip is also metal and can still break (just like any other thing), of the past 5 years I have been using them on my rifles and installing them on other 1894's, they have proven MUCH MORE reliable than the washer fixture on that plunger stud.

PLUS, with the 1/8" Eclip, its possible to remove it, clean out the plunger hole if crude gets in it, and replace. You can use the present Eclip or replace with a new one.

..........Widder

Are these e-clips readily available at any hardware store, such as ACE, etc.? Anything special to look for?

Are these e-clips readily available at any hardware store, such as ACE, etc.? Anything special to look for?

That's where I got mine for my WidderMajic!

Griff is correct.

ACE hardware should be able to stock 1/8" e-clips.

CAUTION: there have been some of the Plunger Studs that lacked enough groove to hold an e-clip. Should this happen, Slick McClade sells a Plunger Stud kit, complete with stud, spring and e-clip.

..........Widder

I haven't replaced any parts on my riflr es or revolvers since having a qualified smith tune them. Nothing has broke yet. When it does then thing may chance heck except for cleaning after shooting bp I only spray my guns down with Amsoil mp when I put them away normally nothing else n years.

Archived