SASS Wire Forum

Two piece grip for 1860 Army Black powder

Texas Lizard

I've never seen any commercial manufacturer offer them. The frame would have to be drilled for a pin to keep the grips from moving. As noted, custom grips.

I remember an old magazine article, at least several decades ago, concerning something similar. The writer first split his cap and ball Colt grips and then installed a pair of lg snaps inside them using accuweld (??) In the end he added a small relief cut between one grip panel, where it met the frame, and this allowed a convenient spot for snap apart disassembly. This allows a quick and almost invisible assembly/disassembly start without constantly worrying about all of the grip screws getting boogered! I am shocked that someone hasnt already set up a jig for their drill press to mass produce something similar even if only a simple grip screw+escutcheon similar to the '58 Rem. Wish I still had the article as it had lots of photos.

I also saw (a looooong time ago) where a shooter had split one piece grips and installed some really strong rare earth magnets to hold the grip

panels to the frame. I never saw anything about how well that idea did/or didn't work out.

Coffinmaker

Archived