SASS Wire Forum

O.D. Variations -.38 Special vs .38 Colt .....Safe?

Cat Brules

I was just taking a look at bullet dimensions on a chart on

www.cartridge-corner.com

trying to verify dimensional data amongst:

.38 Special -- .357 dia

.38 Short Colt -- .376 dia

.38 Long Colt -- .375 dia

9x19mm (9mm Luger) -- .355 dia

Are these numbers (for the Colt bullets) accurate or Is the reference incorrect? I have a model P clone chambered for, "38 Colt and S & W Special." It seems the .38 Colt bullets are significantly larger OD than the .38 Special

It just seems inadvisable to fire the larger dimension Colt-sized bullets in my .38 Special revolver, regardless of what the barrel stamp says. An 11/32" (0.34375") brass range rod is a very close fit in the bore of my revolver with no slop, so I believe it's bored for the (.357) .38 Special bullet. I imagine the more likely scenario would be to load the Colt cases with the smaller OD .357 bullets....would their be any issues with the crimp?

So, what do you think about the .38 Colt ammo in my revolver?

38 sw is .361, different diameter than 38 Sp. not interchangeable.

I have loaded 105 grn 38sp bullets for my 38SW pocket pistols with no problem. At short distances and low power, I don't think it matters much to have that smaller bullet rattling down the pipe!

Original 38 Short Colt was a heeled bullet so it was larger than the.38 Special. It was originally developed to work as a cartridge conversion for 36 caliber C&B revolvers. To get more power it was lengthened into the .38 Long Colt.

Do away with heeled bullets and lengthen the case again and you get the .38 special and later the .357 Magnum

If you load .38 Short Colt or .38 Long Colt with the same bullet you use in .38 Special, you can use either cartridge in a mondern gun chambered for .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

If you run those cartridges in a vintage revolver originally chambered for .38 Long Colt, it will depend on when the gun was made.

Older guns in .38LC will have a bore of around .375" The .358" bullets will rattle down the bore and give you terrible accuracy. A less old gun will have a .357" bore, and the smaller bullets are perfect for it.

I know this for a fact. My 1880's vintage Lighting has the larger bore. My 1902 one has the smaller bore. I load both .38 Short and Long Colt with a 150 grain, .358" round nose hollow base bullet. This bullet works well in both bore sizes, and you don't have to figure out how yo load heeled bullets.

You can also use this bullet in .38 S&W if finding .360" bullets proves to be a challenge. But this is a totally different cartridge and is not related to or interchangeable with the SC. LC, SPL, Mag family

Okay, I see now why the barrel is so marked with .38 Colt and .38 Special.

Thanks very much!!

Cat Brules

Archived