SASS Wire Forum

Abandoned Nebraska

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.facebook.com/abandonednebraska

Photo from the Nebraska State Historical Society. Christmas memories abound in the diaries and reminiscences of sod house pioneers. Many pioneers praised those homes for being “warm in winter and cool in summer.” What was Christmas like for them?

Ten-year-old Ella wrote to her grandparents about her 1879 Christmas in a Nebraska soddy:

I got a new red oil calico dress I will send you a piece of them a each one of us girls got a doll and uncle Giles put a book on for Sabra and me & each one of us girls a string with candy and raisins on it. Christmas day we all went to uncle Gileses & New Years we were invited to a New Years dinner up to Mr Bumgardners. I eat till I nearly bursted eating oysters & good things. Christmas night I got pair of stockings & a nice new book called the three white kittens & Sabra & Maggie both got a new pair of stockings & primer books & New Years all of us girls got a candy apple a peice & a paper sack of mixed candy & a paper sack of raisins".

Copy of an original letter as written. I don't believe the letter posted here & the photo of this family necessarily go together.

12346485_1099571213395368_61673891457076

As long as you were warm and safe and loved by your family, the small gifts were loved even more. Can't really ask for much more than that today.

As long as you were warm and safe and loved by your family, the small gifts were loved even more. Can't really ask for much more than that today.

Absolutely.

Archived