SASS Wire Forum

SKB Chrome Plating Question

August West, SASS #45079

And a number of "race ready" tricks will eliminate most all of chrome. I doubt that any of my Ithaca/SKBS have any chrome left. I do like Briley's work even though a little special care is needed to barrels because they are no longer with chrome.

The chrome plating runs the length of the barrels . No black chrome on any SKB made in the Ithaca era, barrels are blued.

The forcing cones can have the chrome removed by a carbide cone drill bit. Expensive tool and not really necessary. Shotgunner who taught me used to remove the chrome and after time I quit doing it without any noticeable difference in she'll removal.

According to the owner's manual (a copy is in my hands) the bores and chambers and all working surfaces and the triggers are chrome plated. The external finish on all metal is blued except for the "coin silver" surfaces on some deluxe parts.

Are the chambers on SKB shotguns chrome plated? Or, is the plating only done on the bores back to the forcing cone?

Thanks.

A.W.

Barrells are chrome plated inside and out. Inside posished chrome and outside black chrome not blued.

Well then the black chrome wears exactly like bluing and the 20 plus barrels I have had reblued looks like original, blued not black chrome. Much later guns 1985 forward may have had black chrome,Sorry to disagree but much experience in this

Archived