SASS Wire Forum

Metal Detector

Good Evenin Pards:

For a few years I have had a desire to get a metal detector. Am I stupid? My wife thinks so. I tell her that riches await us just inches below the surface of our property. (no I don't really believe that). If any of you have them, is there a brand that you recommend? I am considering getting one at a pawn shop. It just seems like fun. Or should I just concentrate on all my other hobbies and let this go?

I will not object to any responses that question my mental capacity.

Thanks,

Frazee

I started metal detecting in the early 70's...took a hiatus during my stint in the Army and am now back at it and part of Kellyco's independent test team...an unpaid member so as to keep my objectivity. Kellyco is the largest retailer of metal detectors in the US located right here in the Orlando area not 14 miles from my house.

Metal detecting is a wonderful past time/hobby...one that the entire family can enjoy together and one that pays you with great finds after the initial investment of the gear. I've found everything from junk to relics, to coins, to silver and gold jewelry. Miss Mary Christmas particularly likes it when I come home with a nice gold or silver ring she fancies!!!

The type of detector you get depends on several factors: what kind of hunting do you intend to do and where; what kind of budget do you have; how simple or capable do you want your machine to be; how experienced are you with the hobby and its related equipment.

To be successful, you'll need more than just the detector. As in CAS, there are accessories ranging from must have to nice to have.

Top brands are Minelab, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, Tesoro and XP. Now within those brands you can spend anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand...again, depends on what kind of hunting you want to do and where

PM me and we can "talk" it over more. Rest assured, I am no salesman for any retailer and have no financial interest in the metal detecting business. I just like the hobby and the thrill of the hunt!!!

Cats meow is the Minelab CTX3030. An affordable but good, versatile machine is the Garrett AT Gold. I hunt coins and some relics so YMMV.

Sam, Two good detectors indeed!

I own two Minelab Excalibur IIs,(one with the stock 10" coil the other with a 12x15 SEF) an XP Deus and the Garrett AT Pro. 99.9% of my hunting is done on our Florida beaches so I prefer waterproof machines...or like the Deus, those whose control box can easily be totally protected.

Lots of stuff have been found with the ACE but I've found it to be unstable where there is lots of rusty iron, etc. Bottom line is that target separation is more difficult in trashy areas. My suggestion is to get on one of the Detector forums and do a little research to see which one fits the situation.

Be careful of going down that rabbit hole. :D

I'll second what Sam said. Good research helps you learn and avoid. Learn about the machines and avoid buying one ill suited for the job you want it to do. Think of it this way...if the job at hand is to drive screws, don't buy a hammer. Hunting at the beach is much different than hunting in the mountains for example. Take some time to properly identify the type of hunting you will be doing and where, then research the machines most suitable for that task.

Once you can identify your needs, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to discuss your options.

Don't forget to get yourself a smaller coil for the detector you choose. Hunting in heavy brush or in the cracks and crevices of the western landscape can be tough with an average size coil. Finding a quarter on the first tee of the golf course is a lot different than finding a gold nugget in a crack between two rocks in a cold mountain stream.

Battle Creek Michigan is a lot different than the deserts of Arizona and Nevada.

I have an old Fisher 1266X. Wasn't old when I got it, though... literally paid five bucks for it at a garage sale in '99. :)

Still works quite well!

Archived