SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 4"

sureshot2040

Hey

There's a local pard here has a nice looking Uberti 45 SAA

With a 4" barrel? Blued/CC plain wood grips factory stock condition. I have been using vaqueros for so long kinda lost touch with the Uberti guns

Is this anything special? He puts a trade value of 450 on it

Is that a fair value?

Appreciate any input as I'm thinking about doing a little horse trading with him on it

It's most likely 4 3/4". A lot of people don't know how to measure barrels and measure from the muzzle to the front of the frame. Lots of barrel lengths have been offered so it is possible it is 4". On a Uberti none are special.

Ask if the Uberti is a Cattleman New Model, Old Model, check if it has steel grip frame or brass, etc. then look at Uberti web site to find the gun and you can read about it and see MSRP. A couple of years ago, I bought a new Cattleman New Model similar to the one you describe for $455 at a local gun store that usually has a little better price that the other nearby stores. These are Colt clones and are not quite as reliable as Rugers, but pretty nice revolvers. I would say to look at the stores for new ones, before I jumped at that one.

I have a factory made 4" barrel Uberti SAA in .45 Colt cal. from the early 1990s.

It's a "New Model" with steel back-strap and cylinder bushing.

Uberti did a small size special run of this variant back then.

At least 5 of were imported to Germany and 4 of these 5 were purchased by pards of mine and myself.

It's completey blued.

Long Johns Wolf

Uberti did several small "runs" of 4" barrel guns. Couple of years ago, VTI Gunparts specialed out a bunch of "new old stock" 4" barrels.

Wish I could have scored a couple of 4" guns when I was still shooting cartridge guns. Fun barrel length.

Coffinmaker

The main thing to look for in a Uberti SAA is how the add-on safety is done. The current guns have a two position base pin. If the base pin is installed fully it is long enough to extend through the frame into the hammer well enough to hold the hammer off the promers.

The older Uberti's AKA the "D" cam guns had an internal add-on safety. On the hammer just under the firing pin is a spring loaded flap. It is actuated by a small rod in a hole drilled through the hammer down through the 1/4 cock notch. The way it works is if the hammer slips forward the trigger nose goes into the 1/4 cock notch pushing the rod up which pushes the flapper down to hold the hammer off the primers. In order to do all this the bolt cam on the side of the hammer in not round, but "D" shaped,

PolishedSear_zpsnavpmr6r.jpg

Plus the older Uberti's had early 1st gen style bolts. These early bolts had really sharp finger tips that tend to wear away the upper left corner of the "D" shaped cam causing these guns to go out of time prematurely. Also known as "Ring around the cylinder".

The "D" cam guns are relatively easy to identify. They will have this tiny setscrew in the top of the hammer between the spur and the hammer face.

images_zpsa0pelllb.jpg

It's only relatively easy because there was a transitional period where Uberti was using these hammers in the newer two position base pin guns. Probably to use up old stock. So, if it has the setscrew and flap check the base pin too.

A standard Cattleman (as sold by Stoeger, Dixie, Taylors, etc.) has that same safety on the hammer (in addition to the two-position base pin). That hammer has never gone away. I don't know about whether the hammer cam is still D-shaped, as I've not taken apart a standard Cattleman. Cimarron's version of the Uberti (Model P) has the standard "non-safety" hammer, as do Taylors premium guns (Running Iron, Smokewagon).

A standard Cattleman (as sold by Stoeger, Dixie, Taylors, etc.) has that same safety on the hammer (in addition to the two-position base pin). That hammer has never gone away. I don't know about whether the hammer cam is still D-shaped, as I've not taken apart a standard Cattleman. Cimarron's version of the Uberti (Model P) has the standard "non-safety" hammer, as do Taylors premium guns (Running Iron, Smokewagon).

Yep, that's what I'm seeing too. Best I can tell the ones like the standard Cattleman that have the safety flap and the two position base pin the flap isn't functional.

images%201_zpsgcvw6xlf.jpg

So, the half cock and 1/4 cock notches are cut more like the original meaning the cam is round, not "D" shaped. Plus, the bolts are different now, too. They have the better more rounded tips.

Archived