SASS Wire Forum

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep

Sedalia Dave

Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep

Auto Makers were warned back in 2011 yet they can't take the hint even when it is barring its teeth.

Besides Uconnect; OnStar, Ford Sync, Toyota Safety Connect, Lexus Enform, Nissan Connect, KIA UVO eServices, and any other similar system is just a vulnerable.

http://video.wired.com/watch/hackers-wireless-jeep-attack-stranded-me-on-a-highway

All of this is possible only because Chrysler, like practically all carmakers, is doing its best to turn the modern automobile into a smartphone. Uconnect, an Internet-connected computer feature in hundreds of thousands of Fiat Chrysler cars, SUVs, and trucks, controls the vehicle’s entertainment and navigation, enables phone calls, and even offers a Wi-Fi hot spot. And thanks to one vulnerable element, which Miller and Valasek won’t identify until their Black Hat talk, Uconnect’s cellular connection also lets anyone who knows the car’s IP address gain access from anywhere in the country. “From an attacker’s perspective, it’s a super nice vulnerability,” Miller says.

the release is nonetheless warranted because it allows their work to be proven through peer review. It also sends a message: Automakers need to be held accountable for their vehicles’ digital security. “If consumers don’t realize this is an issue, they should, and they should start complaining to carmakers,” Miller says. “This might be the kind of software bug most likely to kill someone.”

OnStar, Uconnect, Ford Sync, Toyota Safety Connect, Lexus Enform, Nissan Connect, KIA UVO eServices, and any other similar system are likely just a vulnerable.

Oh, I don't know; I had a '78 MGB that frequently lost power, flashed lights on and off, blew its own horn, and spontaneously ran its windscreen wipers - and all without anyone needing to remotely push a button. Seems like British Leyland was ahead of its time, and more advanced than Chrysler....

LL

Oh, I don't know; I had a '78 MGB that frequently lost power, flashed lights on and off, blew its own horn, and spontaneously ran its windscreen wipers - and all without anyone needing to remotely push a button. Seems like British Leyland was ahead of its time, and more advanced than Chrysler....

LL

:):)

I too had a 78 MGB, that I bought to restore. It did much the same as yours. What an electrical nightmare. I got rid of it in less than a year.

Didn't mean to hijack the tread. Just forgot what I was going to say.

I read that they have a fix that can be downloaded to prevent the problem.

I don't understand why it wasn't done in the first place. I idea of hijacking a car has been around for quite sometime.

Although I can't name the movies, I have seen it on the teletube. Why do they wait to fix a problem they knew existed. And I'll bet the hackers will find a way around that fix.

Ironically, I had our Jeep in to the dealer for service earlier this week. Chrysler is now charging for multiple software updates on the various computers in the car - $20 a pop. Doesn't sit well with me; if you can't design and sell a car that doesn't need "updates", at least don't charge me for them later.

LL

Ironically, I had our Jeep in to the dealer for service earlier this week. Chrysler is now charging for multiple software updates on the various computers in the car - $20 a pop. Doesn't sit well with me; if you can't design and sell a car that doesn't need "updates", at least don't charge me for them later.

LL

I'll bet that sooner or later some of those updates will be mandatory for unstated safety related problems. You will get them for free.

LL

I'll bet that sooner or later some of those updates will be mandatory for unstated safety related problems. You will get them for free.

In this case the update is free of charge even if you have the dealer install it. You can also download the update and install it yourself.

Archived