SASS Wire Forum

K-Rations: "Food for Fighters"

Subdeacon Joe

That just made me flash to my time doing food testing / MRE testing at the Area Vet Lab back at Ft. Sam Houston.

At the time, I was a medical lab tech. I did quite a few things, including microbiological testing, the reason I won't eat soft serve frozen yogurt to this day. I also did some testing on MREs, although there was a dedicated group for that. It involved carefully opening packages with razors, using fluorescent dyes on one side to check for perforations, then micro and chemical testing of ingredients. There was also some taste testing done, when we got numerous complaints from DFACs about hot sauce not being hot enough, the entire lab was pulled together to do blind scoville scale testing.

My biggest "claim to fame" was working with my CO to develop a field expedient test for anthrax in water supplies. It worked, but to my knowledge was never used in theater. By the time a positive result would be yielded, everyone would need to be started on Cipro anyway is my guess.

I also did some work that most would consider "veterinary" in nature, such as rabies tests, and different blood testing on working dogs and other animals kept in association with the military.

K rations were very nasty.

C-rats were far superior

K rations were very nasty.

C-rats were far superior

All I remember were the godawful "nutritional" crackers/bread in the Ks/

The steak and potatoes in the Cs were excellent and made good trading material.

Archived