SASS Wire Forum

Long Range targets

What are the targets used for the long range events at Winter Range? Size? Also I assume that I couldn't use my 1899 Savage in .303sav since it doesn't have an external hammer but the rulebook didn't seem to say that. For the military rifle a Swedish Mauser 96 is ok? but how about the later version model 38 which is basically the same thing just shorter length?

WR Wild Bunch military rifle -

Any military bolt action rifle of WW II vintage or before. Must use original type iron sights. Any ammo type. Distances of 100 to 150 yards. Targets will appear to be 12" diameter (they are oval, but slanted at 45 degrees to allow use of FMJ ammo - just not steel core or AP).

Sounds like the Swedish 38 Mauser would be fine. Have seen them used before - with very good results.

Wild Bunch side matches typically restricted to registered Wild Bunch shooters, if I remember right.

Now, whether any French rifle would be considered to have been used by a military force is probably up for vigorous debate, and a large number are reported to have been carried and never fired. :lol:

Seriously, though, I've seen the Mas-36 rifle entered in BAMM matches with no arguments.

Good luck, GJ

What are the targets used for the long range events at Winter Range? Size? Also I assume that I couldn't use my 1899 Savage in .303sav since it doesn't have an external hammer but the rulebook didn't seem to say that. For the military rifle a Swedish Mauser 96 is ok? but how about the later version model 38 which is basically the same thing just shorter length?

Charley,

The Rifle Targets at Winter Range are 24X36 in. at ranges listed in the Long Range information is on the Winter Range website.

You will find that only SASS approved Rifles are allowed. The 1899 Savage doesn't qualify so it wouldn't be allowed either.

For the Military Match any military service rifle 1865 to 1912 is legal, the Swedish Mauser 96 would be fine but the model 38 is a later than 1912 version so it would not be allowed.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions you can contact me through here or the Winter range website.

V/R

Pigpen

Archived