SASS Wire Forum

He Stopped Caring

Subdeacon Joe

Brilliant Piece of Writing

In part:

Today I stopped Caring….

by Fdny198 · December 7, 2014

By Lt Daniel Furseth, DeForest, Wisconsin Police Department

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man. I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. I stopped caring today because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world.

They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.” I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn’t catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know.

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.” I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us.

The rest of his writing is really good also.

I understand and empathize with his frustration. But if ypu only care when you put your uniform on, it's time to go Lieutenant. Because at some point you're going to put the uniform on and not care.

You cannot stop caring in your position. You then become a part of the problem.

Excellent points and well written.

I can certainly understand his loss of motivation for a career of service.

Utah, I did not get the sense that this fellow only cared when he wore the uniform.

I was in a local eatery getting breakfast on the way to a CAS match. I had on my cowboy duds including my SASS badge. The lady in front of me had a very unruly 5-6 year old. She told him that I would take him away if he did not straighten up. I smiled ad thought little of it until I read this article.

Darren Wilson is on the small side. The police in the NY 'choking' video seem small. When did we get so PC that LE departments are not allowed to hire people larger than average? I would think that this is a boni-fide occupational quality BFOQ!

Archived