SASS Wire Forum

Final Four College Football

Harvey Mushman

Well, apparently tomorrow (1230EST) the panel announces their picks.

Here is my bet what they will say:

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Florida State

4. Ohio State

Could have the last two reversed (as well as the first two), but the bigger thing is OSU over either Big 12 Co-Champion, Baylor or TCU.

I will note that the Big 12 is the only Power Five conference not to have a conference championship game...

I think that, and the strength of schedule determinant it affects, will put Ohio State in the four vs, either of the Big 12 co-champions.

Of the "Power Five" conferences, the Big Twelve is the only one not have a conference championship game, and the SEC plays one less conference game than the other four. These shortcomings relate both to strength of schedule, overall (depending on who else they schedule with their non-conference games), and in-conference superiority. These are differentiating factors for the panel/committee.

Harvey

Harvey,

do you know if ALL the selection committee members are required to use the same type format or 'ratings scale' to make their individual decisions?

ALSO, do we know how many of those committee members are SEC, BIG 10, etc..... supporters or residence?

I've heard that each committee member can use whatever criteria they want to make their choices.

But I really don't know.

I do know this.....a couple REAL GOOD teams and their fans are gona get their feelings hurt this afternoon.

..........Widder

We're gonna find out fast if this system is better than the BCS.

Here's a depressingly accurate assessment of the playoff committee criteria: http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/07/college-football-playoff-criteria-championship-saturday

I think Harvey's list will be the final four, but I wish a Big 12 team were there instead of FSU. Too many mediocre wins over mediocre teams.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

A lot of us hated the media ratings (AP and UPI) then we hated the BCA, now a ton of folk are going to holler, because as Widder pointed out, some great teams are gonna be left out.

Next year they will probably go to 8 teams; that would sure work well this season. After all, the FCS has 24 teams in its playoffs this year, and after two weeks they are down to 8 left.

I too wish FSU would be left out, but I don not think they will be and probably should be there. (Dirty/illegal player and all).

IMHO, Hoss

I really believe there should be a Final Eight. Yes, whoever is number Nine will feel cheated, but #9 is a lot further down further down from the potential National Champs than a #5. It would add only one extra game or weekend.

A lot of us hated the media ratings (AP and UPI) then we hated the BCA, now a ton of folk are going to holler, because as Widder pointed out, some great teams are gonna be left out.Next year they will probably go to 8 teams; that would sure work well this season. After all, the FCS has 24 teams in its playoffs this year, and after two weeks they are down to 8 left.I too wish FSU would be left out, but I don not think they will be and probably should be there. (Dirty/illegal player and all).IMHO, Hoss

Ya can't eliminate teams based on a scumbag player. Where would you stop? ;)

Harvey,

do you know if ALL the selection committee members are required to use the same type format or 'ratings scale' to make their individual decisions?

ALSO, do we know how many of those committee members are SEC, BIG 10, etc..... supporters or residence?

I've heard that each committee member can use whatever criteria they want to make their choices.

But I really don't know.

I do know this.....a couple REAL GOOD teams and their fans are gona get their feelings hurt this afternoon.

..........Widder

Widder,

Here are the actual criteria: http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

And here is the committee: http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee

(It has been reported that Archie Manning has stepped out due to health issues)

Archived